Prestone radiator complete care... WTF???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, about 10 years ago I bought some "water pump treatment" in a small yellow bottle made by Prestone. The consistency of it was like normal antifreeze - very liquid and greasy. It actually quieted water pump bearings on my old Ford truck and extended its' lifetime by a few good years. It was a very good product in my experience.

As I was doing a coolant flush on my 2014 SSV (had to change bad water pump), I went to the big box store that used to carry it and they no longer had it. The replacement was called "Prestone radiator complete care (+ stop leak)".

Okay, whatever, must be the same stuff right? So I bought it. I just opened the bottle this evening as I was putting in new antifreeze in the truck and found this liquefied pizza dough inside the bottle. The stuff is so damn THICK that it doesn't even want to come out!

There's no way in hell I'll be adding this semi-solid goo into my rad! In the garbage (or rather recycling center) it shall go, along with the $10 I paid for it... because I am positive the store won't accept returns on open containers.

:favorites68:

So, there you go... unless you have a sh*tbox that you don't care whether the cooling system will get plugged up by "The Blob", I'd recommend sticking with just normal antifreeze.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stops leaks

Hell, stops ALL coolant movement dead in its tracks

....as advertised. Lol.

PS just backflush your cooling system instead, and put proper coolant in

OP
OP
762mm

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I flushed the system after replacing the water pump and decided to go with the Prestone green OAT coolant, marketed as being for "all vehicles". I really don't like the orange Dexcool-like stuff that GM (and now Ford) is using. It seems to me that I'm never able to tell if the coolant is ok or not. It all looks brown inside a black radiator.

Also, the original orange coolant that was in there left some thin brown gooey deposits at the top of the overfill tank and on the radiator cap. It seems like it started breaking down already.