Pro Trailer backup assist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Happy Dog

Reaction score
Have a 2020 Expedition. Trailer due in June.

I’m wondering about the pro-trailer backup assist.

Is it a great help? Just sort of OK? Or mostly useless?

Appreciate your opinion and tips for using it.

Thanks

Ed

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is your experience with backing up trailers?

I personally see no benefit for me since I have been doing it for decades.

However, I might get around to setting it up for my wife. She wants to learn to back in and park the trailer this year. Thus far, she has only shown interest in the straight driving and then have me take over at the campground.

Then again, having to deal with stickers is a bit archaic. I’m having a brain fart, but the other company that has a backup assist requires no stickers. It just works without setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jrparne

Reaction score
If you are new to trailers I think it’s great, if you are a pro it’s another tool in the tool box. Having used it for about a year now I think it is extremely useful for learning how to back up. It takes a lot of the stress you feel when everyone is watching you back in. The best feature is when your spotter says go straight you just let go of the dial and the truck trailer do what it needs to do to go straight. This is by far my favorite part.

Now, it can drop on you. Typically in campsites that have a lot of tree cover with the sun beaming through causing a lot of high and low exposure points for the camera. This will cause the camera to lose the sticker. Typically just pull forward a little and try again normally fix’s it.

Secondly high angles of turn, it will only let you turn so much. Also the angle may drop the sticker out of the field of view.

I think it’s great! I have had to back up occasionally because it could not find the sticker, but it definitely works more than 3/4 of the time. Ultimately with experience using it you will start to pick up how to manually back up a trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Happy Dog

Happy Dog

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
I’ve towed two smaller trailers at different time and was never very good at backing into tight spaces.
The one on order is a 25’ Bigfoot.
More practice is in order. :)

Shutterbug57

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just put your steer hand on the bottom of the strip steering wheel and move it in the direction you want the back of the trailer to go. No stickers required.