Problems With Rear lift gate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjenner

Reaction score
Attaching photos and videos below but my rear lift gate on my 2008 expedition will not open,
The electric motor is working, but the internals on the latch are not unlocking the release, which is stopping it from opening, I am going to get a new latch assembly online, but first I need to find a way to get the lift gate open so I can access the bolts on bottom that hold the latch assembly in. Any ideas are appreciated, thank you in advance to any that respond.

Attachments

• D2A1F73A-AFCA-4828-9F4A-FDE8117DF1E3.jpeg
    D2A1F73A-AFCA-4828-9F4A-FDE8117DF1E3.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
W

wjenner

Reaction score
Attaching photos and videos below but my rear lift gate on my 2008 expedition will not open,
The electric motor is working, but the internals on the latch are not unlocking the release, which is stopping it from opening, I am going to get a new latch assembly online, but first I need to find a way to get the lift gate open so I can access the bolts on bottom that hold the latch assembly in. Any ideas are appreciated, thank you in advance to any that respond.

No One?

OP
OP
W

wjenner

Reaction score
In the first video you got something to move, try again with someone pushing the hatch down to relieve pressure on the latch.
I’m not sure if it got in the video, but I did that while manipulating the latch mechanism, moving the hatch back and forth. Still can’t get the latch to disengage. I think I might just have to cut the top part of the latch and so I can actually get to the inside of the latch

JKH13

Reaction score

When my 09 L/G was giving me trouble it was the main electrical box on the right A-pillar kick pnl that had the connector for the gate corroded from H2O leaks and other ones badly corroded

OP
OP
W

wjenner

Reaction score
When my 09 L/G was giving me trouble it was the main electrical box on the right A-pillar kick pnl that had the connector for the gate corroded from H2O leaks and other ones badly corroded
The motor still works, the latch itself is broken

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I want to say if you remove the small cover where the pull-down strap is on the door (speaking from a 2016 point of view) you should be able to override the mechanism. I seem to remember doing it on my ‘04 Expedition. It was so long ago… I’m sorry.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take a look at this…

OP
OP
W

wjenner

Reaction score
I want to say if you remove the small cover where the pull-down strap is on the door (speaking from a 2016 point of view) you should be able to override the mechanism. I seem to remember doing it on my ‘04 Expedition. It was so long ago… I’m sorry.
That’s what I did in my first post but I just can’t seem to get it to unlatch, so I think I am going to have to cut the top part of the latch assembly off, and then unlock the latch, something internally inside it won’t let unlatch

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s what I did in my first post but I just can’t seem to get it to unlatch, so I think I am going to have to cut the top part of the latch assembly off, and then unlock the latch, something internally inside it won’t let unlatch
Wouldn’t happen to be in the Huntsville, AL area are you? I’d hookup with you to see what’s going on. Very interested in why it won’t act right. Believe we could get it done. Chances are you’re probably on the other side of the world.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni