Programming Mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoustonTexan

Reaction score
Is there a way to program the mirrors to fold in when locking the vehicle and fold out when unlocking? I have searched and keep coming up empty. Thanks! Sorry, it is a 2014 Expedition Limited.

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
being you didn't state what year you have did you read your owners manual to see if the procedure is in there

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Memory Mirrors (If Equipped)
You can save and recall the mirror positions through the memory
function. See Memory function in the Seats chapter.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Memory Mirrors (If Equipped)
You can save and recall the mirror positions through the memory
function. See Memory function in the Seats chapter.

That statement has zero to do with his question.

The answer to the question is no, you can only power fold via the mirror switch, this is a Ford not a Benz or Infiniti. You can get them to fold via an aftermarket alarm if you are really that interested. As you will learn these trucks are huge technology turds is about every aspect. I just had a 2015 as a loaner and worse than the ecoboost was it's lack of technology still, no lane keeping, no distronic cruise control, no cross traffic detect with autobrake no park assist, no hydraulic body control, the list goes on.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That statement has zero to do with his question.

The answer to the question is no, you can only power fold via the mirror switch, this is a Ford not a Benz or Infiniti. You can get them to fold via an aftermarket alarm if you are really that interested. As you will learn these trucks are huge technology turds is about every aspect. I just had a 2015 as a loaner and worse than the ecoboost was it's lack of technology still, no lane keeping, no distronic cruise control, no cross traffic detect with autobrake no park assist, no hydraulic body control, the list goes on.

Thank you for correcting my error.
Although the information I gave had "zero" to do with his question, the information that was provided was according to the owners manual for his expy and was given to help the OP find his answer.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was going to create a new thread but thought I would update this one instead. I believe there may be a way to do this for 2015-17 vehicles. After studying the wiring diagrams, it may be possible to tap into the driver door lock motor wire (Blue-Green) near connector C465 (pin 36) at the LH "C" pillar. By running a wire from here, through a diode, and connecting to the Grey-Brown wire coming from connector C311 (pin 2) under the driver's seat, it would provide a remote input to the Driver's Seat Module (DSM) to fold/unfold the power mirrors.

If I'm reading the diagrams correctly, whenever you use the keypad or the remote to lock the doors, a 12V pulse will appear on the Blue-Green wire at connector C465, pin 36. The same thing will happen if you enter the code on the keypad or use the remote to unlock the doors, but current will be flowing in the opposite direction. Either way, tapping this wire will provide a brief 12V pulse during remote lock and unlock. Connecting this pulse to the power fold input on the DSM (via an isolating diode) should cause the mirrors to fold/unfold automatically during remote lock/unlock.

There is, however, a caveat to this approach: If the mirrors are folded, the next input from the fold switch causes them to unfold. Thus, if you were to fold the mirrors yourself using the switch before you locked the vehicle, they would then unfold as soon as you locked the door with the remote or keypad. If you then unlock the door, the mirrors would fold! You'd have to "re-synch" the mirrors by activating the switch manually to unfold them. Then, you could lock the doors again.

Coming up with some sort of "smart" control that takes into account if the mirrors are already folded would require a more sophisticated solution.

EDIT: It's also possible that tapping the blue-green wire would fold/unfold the mirrors if locking/unlocking the doors with the door lock switch which may not be desirable.

Last edited:

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there a way to program the mirrors to fold in when locking the vehicle and fold out when unlocking? I have searched and keep coming up empty. Thanks! Sorry, it is a 2014 Expedition Limited.

I could be wrong but because Expeditions don't have Door Modules, that feature (Fold & unfold on on lock & unlock) can't be done in 07-17 year models.

However there are Universal Auto Fold (Chinese) modules on ebay, Aliexpress (for ~$10) that can be spliced in to achieve that goal.

Not sure about the 2018-2020 models, whether or not they have door modules. But if they do then the procedure should be the same as the F150 or Explorer. Use Forscan to access the door modules and enable Autofold

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was going to create a new thread but thought I would update this one instead. I believe there may be a way to do this for 2015-17 vehicles. After studying the wiring diagrams, it may be possible to tap into the driver door lock motor wire (Blue-Green) near connector C465 (pin 36) at the LH "C" pillar. By running a wire from here, through a diode, and connecting to the Grey-Brown wire coming from connector C311 (pin 2) under the driver's seat, it would provide a remote input to the Driver's Door Module (DDM) to fold/unfold the power mirrors.

If I'm reading the diagrams correctly, whenever you use the keypad or the remote to lock the doors, a 12V pulse will appear on the Blue-Green wire at connector C465, pin 36. The same thing will happen if you enter the code on the keypad or use the remote to unlock the doors, but current will be flowing in the opposite direction. Either way, tapping this wire will provide a brief 12V pulse during remote lock and unlock. Connecting this pulse to the power fold input on the DDM (via an isolating diode) should cause the mirrors to fold/unfold automatically during remote lock/unlock.

DDM ? I dont think 15-17s have door modules ....... can you share the diagram with the group ?