Programming the 'Home Link'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorthGeorgia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone had difficulty programming the "Home Link" with their Expedition? I am. Any suggestions?

thanks

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Nav- destination- favorites- #1 should say home with a house- click edit- change location- move the little beacon around until you are on ur house- save. Thts from my 16 plati

OP
OP
NorthGeorgia

NorthGeorgia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess I did not write my inquiry correctly. I cannot get my 'Home Link' to work in my 2017 Expedition. I have followed the procedures in the manual on how to 'link' the vehicle to the garage opener but it does not work. I've even tried linking directly to the garage door motor as outlined in the manual. Sooooo, i'm still using my 'remote' to operate it and not able to use the vehicle 'home link' to operate my door????

any suggestions as to why it won't link????

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The instructions for programming the opener are very specific

1. With your vehicle parked outside of the garage, turn your ignition to the on position, but do not start your vehicle.
2. Hold your hand-held garage door transmitter 2–6 in (5–14 cm) away from the HomeLink button you want to program.
3. Using both hands, simultaneously, press and hold the desired HomeLink button and the hand-held transmitter button. DO NOT release either one until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. The rapid flashing indicates successful training.

Note: You may need to use a different method if you live in Canada or have difficulties programming your gate operator or garage door opener. See Gate Operator / Canadian Programming.

4. Press and hold the HomeLink button you programmed for two seconds, then release. You may need to do this twice to activate the door. If your garage door does not operate, watch the HomeLink indicator light. If the indicator light stays on, the programming is complete. No further action is needed.

If the indicator light flashes rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns to a constant light, the HomeLink button is not programmed yet. See Programming Your Garage Door Opener Motor.

I've always had to do this step to program my opener on multiple vehicles and different garage door openers.

Programming Your Garage Door Opener Motor

Note: You may need a ladder to reach the unit and you may need to remove the cover or lamp lens on your garage door opener.

1. Press the learn button on the garage door opener motor and then you have 30 seconds to complete the next two steps.

2. Return to your vehicle.

3. Press and hold the function button you want to program for 2 seconds, then release. Repeat this step. Depending on your brand of garage door opener, you may need to repeat this sequence a third time

OP
OP
NorthGeorgia

NorthGeorgia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The instructions for programming the opener are very specific

1. With your vehicle parked outside of the garage, turn your ignition to the on position, but do not start your vehicle.
2. Hold your hand-held garage door transmitter 2–6 in (5–14 cm) away from the HomeLink button you want to program.
3. Using both hands, simultaneously, press and hold the desired HomeLink button and the hand-held transmitter button. DO NOT release either one until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. The rapid flashing indicates successful training.

Note: You may need to use a different method if you live in Canada or have difficulties programming your gate operator or garage door opener. See Gate Operator / Canadian Programming.

4. Press and hold the HomeLink button you programmed for two seconds, then release. You may need to do this twice to activate the door. If your garage door does not operate, watch the HomeLink indicator light. If the indicator light stays on, the programming is complete. No further action is needed.

If the indicator light flashes rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns to a constant light, the HomeLink button is not programmed yet. See Programming Your Garage Door Opener Motor.

I've always had to do this step to program my opener on multiple vehicles and different garage door openers.

Programming Your Garage Door Opener Motor

Note: You may need a ladder to reach the unit and you may need to remove the cover or lamp lens on your garage door opener.

1. Press the learn button on the garage door opener motor and then you have 30 seconds to complete the next two steps.

2. Return to your vehicle.

3. Press and hold the function button you want to program for 2 seconds, then release. Repeat this step. Depending on your brand of garage door opener, you may need to repeat this sequence a third time

Appreciate the 'repeat' of instructions.....which I followed specifically initially. I even did the 'Canada' thing. Still no success. I am not a 'newbie' to doing this type of thing. I've 'linked' my previous vehicles and even done some other folks vehicles for them....so I know what/how to do this type of thing (or so I think).

But for some unknown reason It ain't workin' now?????

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Which part of the procedure is failing? Were you able to get the truck's home link button synced with the hand held transmitter?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the 'repeat' of instructions.....which I followed specifically initially. I even did the 'Canada' thing. Still no success. I am not a 'newbie' to doing this type of thing. I've 'linked' my previous vehicles and even done some other folks vehicles for them....so I know what/how to do this type of thing (or so I think).

But for some unknown reason It ain't workin' now?????
One of the things it says is that you sometimes have to push and hold the learning button on the garage door opener. Sometimes you have to do that step more than once.

What brand of garage door opener do you have? You may have to contact them to see if there are any special programming instructions for your door. We have an Overhead Door and I can do the programming of the remote and then I have to do the learning button on the opener step. After that It works without a problem.

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One of the things it says is that you sometimes have to push and hold the learning button on the garage door opener. Sometimes you have to do that step more than once.

What brand of garage door opener do you have? You may have to contact them to see if there are any special programming instructions for your door. We have an Overhead Door and I can do the programming of the remote and then I have to do the learning button on the opener step. After that It works without a problem.

Note that the door opener can be reset if you hold down the learn button too long. This happened on mine and I had to reprogram all my vehicles again.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Note that the door opener can be reset if you hold down the learn button too long. This happened on mine and I had to reprogram all my vehicles again.
Also as you add more remotes the older ones fall off. My garage door opener only allows for 4 remote devices, in my case, the remote keypad, two cars, and one handheld remote. If you add a 5th device the first one set rolls off the list.

OP
OP
NorthGeorgia

NorthGeorgia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks to all
I have ..... finally ..... successfully linked the Expedition to my garage door opener !!!!

As was noted ...... I had to do 'both' process' to get the thing to work. 1) do the 'remote' and the 'home' button in the vehicle and then 2) 'link' the home button in the vehicle to the door motor.

Wife is loving the vehicle. She's 5'2" and loved her Suburban(s) and Tahoe. Then I down sized to the Highlander and then to a RX350. She didn't complain but 'little' her loved driving/riding in her 'Sherman Tanks' and so we are HAPPY AGAIN.

I've had 2 full size Ford Trucks (older models) and now have a 2010 Mazda extended cab 4x4.....which we all know is nothing more than a 100% Ford Ranger. So now I have a garage with nothing but Fords.....................