Project 2nd Gen Expy - NOPE, I’m boned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

Al Steel

Reaction score
Sadly, the cross was too much to bare and I sold it for nearly the same price I paid. Lost a little money but didn't take a complete bath so that took the sting out a bit. A local guy who is going to part it out which is really the best fate for it. I was still holding out hope that I could make a project out of it and slowly bring it back but my wife vetoed that idea. :buttkick: Turns out it was for the best because the guy that picked it up REALLY wanted to take off the catalytic converter BUT, when he looked it over yet another item showed up... bad Cat! The catalytic converter was split at the weld and is the reason why it was making an exhaust noise. I didn't even notice that. Oh and the engine was toast. After allowing it to idle for about 15mins and shutting it off, I noticed the telltale milky white film on the oil filler cap that is a pretty clear sign of a bad head gasket/warped head/cracked block/etc... so yeah just to recap:

- Rusted out frame ($1K+)
- Faulty brakes ($1K in parts alone)
- Blown head gasket/engine (no idea, if repairable $1-2K.. if not $2K-the moon Alice! for a donor engine)
- Cracked catalytic converter ($500+labor for aftermarket, $900-2K for OEM)

This tipped the cost-benefit scale WAAAY to far over for me so it went.

I'll resume looking. I really like the Expedition/Tahoe platform and since I'm familiar with the Expy quirks (and its looks) I'd prefer one. However, a Toyota Landcruiser SR5 or similar would certainly be in the cards except finding one of those is a needle in haystack and usually cost prohibitive.

Thanks for looking and commenting. I'll stay on here to relate my Expy experiences and knowledge.

Cheers! :cheers:

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You made a good decision.

My first expy XLT (2001) 2wd I bought for $1200 in 2015. I had to install a new door lock tumbler - to save $$ I 'wafered' it myself. Not too hard. Otherwise the truck was great for a few years.

I'm sure you can find another.

Maybe an odd idea, but - would you consider looking at one south of you in fairer climates (a state w/ less snow/ice) to potentially avoid rust issues? Airfare is relatively cheap these days. Just a thought.

Good luck on your search.