PSA: Avoid Eaton/Detroit differentials

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

highlandre

Reaction score
In an update to the Eaton/Detroit Trutrac(tm) that I put in the rear of my 1998 Expy. I just got the truck back from the shop after having to put $2600 into another axle. The gears are a hair out of spec and the torque from spinning an axle/tire for 15k miles took its toll.

There is only a 12 month/ 12k mile warranty but for a product that they say never needs maintenance this is ridiculous for something I spent over $700.

Now here's the kicker. When I dropped the truck off at The Diff Shop the owner had a TruTrac from an F550 sitting on the counter and with his calipers showed me the play and how out of spec it was on that one. He'd sent over a dozen back to Eaton and they basically told him to "piss off." It's become such an issue that he no longer touches them because he chose to spend $10k to cover what Eaton wouldn't just to keep his good name intact.

I know everyone's MMV but I wanted to share my experience. Oh and one other thing. Apparently there is a single part in the <98.5 axle that is no longer made so he had to put a 99+ axle in the truck. It's now the 3rd housing I've had on this truck in 2 years.

That said it's still a great truck and I love driving it.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Huh. I have 2 Trutracs in my Explorer. Had them installed for about 5 years now- but maybe only 15-18k miles worth. But those are usually rough miles- driving to and from the trail (Moab and all around Colorado). Had been running 33” tires with 4.56 gears but recently went with 35” tires.

Mine seem to be working well. I have been catching wind about their quality going downhill though. It’s unfortunate because I have been thinking about a Trutrac for the rear of my Expedition.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good to know. I’m developing my plans for my 2nd gen upgrade now...
thank you!

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks for the update. it's just a shame that after building a brand over decades, some ******* at corporate finds something else more important than quality. Apparently they missed the entire GM/Chrysler debacle.

Samuel Jewell

Reaction score
I'm running a TruTrac in the D60 front of my Ranger turning 5.38 gears and 39" tires for about 15K miles with no issues.

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The newer Expeditions can be optioned with the eLSD from the factory. I doubt there will be a huge market for Eaton TrueTrac with a factory option.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luketravis