Pulls right when braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason Mankey

Reaction score
We bought a 2010 Eddie Bauer standard length Expy last year. It had 188,000 when we got it, but was well taken care of. The engine, transmission, transfer case, differentials, interior and body all seem to be in wonderful condition.

However, when I brake...especially when pulling our 3,500 lb camper...it pulls to the right.

When we bought it, the tires were wore out. We looked them over to see if there were indications of abnormal wear during our purchase and they were worn very evenly. So we assumed the suspension was at least in decent condition. So I installed new Cooper Discoverer tires and have been very happy with them. They were great in the winter.

The brakes had been replaced in the past with some low quality parts and were pretty rusty. We suspected that could be the cause of the pull and these needed to be replaced anyway. We replaced all front and rear pads, rotors and even the parking shoes and hardware with high quality Raybestos parts about a month ago. The braking is much better, but the pull to the right has not changed.

So I am suspecting that with now nearly 200,000, the suspension needs some work. We only paid $8,000. We went into this knowing that it may cost a little to get it tuned up, but since we got it so cheap, we could afford to put some money into it.

I did the bounce test on the front and rear for the struts. I am a big dude and I could get it to move some. If I release all the way at the bottom of the bounce, the truck comes up and I get maybe 1/4 bounce. You can hear the struts making their noise, so it seems to me these were replaced and are working correctly. Based on how our Expy rides, I would say the struts are some stiffer truck style ones now because when towing our camper, I did not notice any extra bounce at all. It rides pretty stiff.

I would like to hear people experiences with the front and rear suspension. I am thinking that I probably need at least front ball joints. I have replaced ball joints may times, so no big deal there.

However, I have never owned a 4 wheel drive with independent rear suspension before. I have always owned solid rear axle vehicles. The rear suspension looks really busy with a bunch of control arms. So here are some questions I have.

1. Could the rear suspension being worn cause this pull to the right when braking? I would tend to think look at the front first, but I wanted to ask just in case.

2. What parts tend to wear on the rear suspension other than the strut and brakes?

3. With all these control arm links, is it common for some or all of them to wear, or do they tend to last the life of the vehicle? I have seen some vehicles that wear suspension and some that last almost forever depending on design.

Plati

Reaction score
Does it pull to the right for a second and then stop pulling?
My 2003 would do that (pull then straighten out) and it was the flexible hose
It was the hose on the side opposite the pull. Pull right - left hose bad.
The left rotor got HOT, found that with infrared heat gun.

Did you service the caliper pins? Clean up and lube?

OP
OP
Jason Mankey

Jason Mankey

Reaction score
Yes, it feels like it is worse when I first start braking.

Yes, we polished the pins and installed them with some Permatex Ceramic Extreme brake grease.

We did bleed all 4 calipers when compressing the pistons to prevent back flow of debris. We then bled them again after reinstallation to make sure we have fresh fluid in the calipers.

What was wrong with your hose that could cause that? I have only heard of hoses leaking. No leaking going on here.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hoses can swell internally and mess with the flow of fluid.

OP
OP
Jason Mankey

Jason Mankey

Reaction score
I forgot to add....

The pull is ONLY while braking. When diving down the highway, I can let go of the steering wheel for quite some time on a strait road with no pull. So if something is loose, it can't be horribly bad.

So is the consensus that my pull is from something wonky on the brakes? When we did the brake bleeding, we used the old "stomp brake pedal...loosen bleeder...tighten bleeder...let off pedal" method. I do not have a power bleeder.

I just now had a thought. I wonder if before we got the truck someone got air in the left front brake line making it brake less thus pulling to the firmer right braking. The brake pedal does feel firm though...no squishiness.

Maybe I could have the local shop I use power bleed the brakes and confirm no air in the antilock actuator.

Plati

Reaction score
The consensus is bad brake hose.

Those hoses can collapse inside and you can't see it.

$50 says its a bad brake hose.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Had the same problem on mine. I suspected shocks, as it happened only at high speeds with a hard brake application. Changing brake hoses eliminated it. A cheap fix, and with 188K miles, money well spent.

OP
OP
Jason Mankey

Jason Mankey

Reaction score
Thanks all for your input! For my own curiosity I am going to get it up in the air and check out the suspension just to be safe with the mileage I have. I suspect it will all look fine.

If it does, I will order hoses for both sides. If one has gone bad, the other probably is not to far behind. And I can get a good pair of hoses for $32 shipped. So it's pretty cheap. The local stores want $40 each around here.