Purchasing a used 2017 EL - Rentals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YEOLJB

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to the forum but my wife and I are looking to purchase a used 2017 Expedition EL. My wife wants a sunroof and I want the HD towing package so I'm looking at Limited models as well as loaded XLT models. There are plenty of used Expeditions available that have the options we're looking for but all of them seem to be rental/fleet vehicles with 40k-50k miles according to the Carfax reports. Have any of you purchased an expedition that came from a rental fleet? Is there anything I should be looking out for? I would prefer to purchase a vehicle that wasn't a rental but there aren't many out there that have the options we're looking for.

Thanks for the help.

John

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is the hesitation on buying a rental??
Most rentals/fleets are pretty meticulous with their maintenance. Anything the renter does generally is going to be fairly cosmetic and noticeable with a good inspection of the truck.
I just bought a 2016 XLT with 46K miles and it was an Enterprise vehicle. A couple cosmetic issues and a broken piece here or there but the dealer I bought from took care of all that for me. They also provide a lifetime unlimited mileage power train warranty. I little higher mileage than I prefer when buying as I try to keep it around 15K a year but the price was right and the warranty is a huge plus. I did not want a ton of options so I don't have much to go wrong with it.

Actually as I am browsing this forum I am also searching Enterprises site for a good contact number to see if they are able to provide me all of the maintenance records. They clearly have been done as all the stickers are on the drivers door.

Though it does appear the front windshield has been replaced as it is not a Ford Carlite windshield. The weather strip on the side is also a little damage but no water issues seem apparent along the A pillar.

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2015 XLT EL was a rental. I bought it last year with 35K on it and I’m at 56K now.
Other than some additional scratches and dings I likely wouldn’t have found on a non-rental, there were no surprises. The leather on the driver’s seat outer bolster was more worn than I might have expected, but it’s no worse than my wife’s 15 Plat had at 45K miles.

Check the undercarriage thoroughly for damage or rust you might not otherwise find. Especially on a 4x4, they tend to have been originally used up north where they salt the roads. Mine started in NJ, but moved down south early and never left so it was remarkably rust-free.
I’d make sure the jack and tools are still in the back, and pull the seats up and check underneath for things that got dropped and never cleaned up.
Otherwise, really no different than any other used Expedition you could buy. My XLT has been more flawless than my wife’s Plat.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to the forum but my wife and I are looking to purchase a used 2017 Expedition EL. My wife wants a sunroof and I want the HD towing package so I'm looking at Limited models as well as loaded XLT models. There are plenty of used Expeditions available that have the options we're looking for but all of them seem to be rental/fleet vehicles with 40k-50k miles according to the Carfax reports. Have any of you purchased an expedition that came from a rental fleet? Is there anything I should be looking out for? I would prefer to purchase a vehicle that wasn't a rental but there aren't many out there that have the options we're looking for.

Thanks for the help.

John
Hi John, welcome to the forum. You might want to look into Ford Program vehicles. They typically have 20,000 to 24,000 miles on them. We helped my daughter buy a 2016 Fusion program car last year. It had 22,000 miles on it and it still had 2 years or 36,000 mile left on factory warranty. for her it was a major upgrade from her 2007 Fusion that was total when a drunk neighbor ran into while it was parked in front of our house.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Carfax lumps rental/fleet together, which can be unfortunate. My company has a fleet of Expeditions. Dozens of them. Driven for the most part by careful adult professionals who know they are subject to GPS, audio, and video surveillance. They receive a regular bonus based on their fuel and repair costs (ie: brakes, tires), so probably minimal hard driving. They log mileage automatically and oil changes are scheduled & done by the book.

I'd probably consider a rental Expedition. Probably wouldn't look at a $29/day Focus or Corolla x-rental though.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought an 09 Escalade that was a rental and it never gave me a bit of trouble. I think you'll be fine

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I looked for a good used 2017 and found my ex-rental EL Limited with 47K miles on it...no problems so far and I still have until 60K miles under the FORD warranty. My dealer also threw in the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty too...these are good vehicles. If you do a reasonable inspection, you will be happy and not look back.

OP
OP
Y

YEOLJB

Reaction score
Thanks for the information guys...you all have made my decision much easier. I will continue looking for the "perfect vehicle" and report back. Thanks again!

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information guys...you all have made my decision much easier. I will continue looking for the "perfect vehicle" and report back. Thanks again!
Check with the dealer and ask them about a program vehicle. They can buy them at a special auction open only to Ford dealerships. They get first crack at the vehicles and they can look for exactly what you want in terms of model color, and options. It was what I considered doing before I bought my 17 new.

OP
OP
Y

YEOLJB

Reaction score
Check with the dealer and ask them about a program vehicle. They can buy them at a special auction open only to Ford dealerships. They get first crack at the vehicles and they can look for exactly what you want in terms of model color, and options. It was what I considered doing before I bought my 17 new.

I just spoke with a Ford dealer who has 5 program vehicles on the lot right now. They are all XLT's which is good but I would really prefer a limited. Don't get me wrong the XLT is nice but I really like the limited model. I will keep looking for a limited that has the color and options my wife is looking for.