Purchasing a used 2017 EL - Rentals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCP2018

Reaction score
Mine was an Enterprise. Bone stock XLT. Put about 20k on it since the last week of March. Other than the occasional weird shifting issue no problems. Due to an unfortunate incident involving my previous vehicle, and being sold the car with near bald tires, I paid what the dealer paid for it, so there are no complaints; it is what it is. Saying that our next one will be a 4th gen 4x4 Platinum (those massaging seats are sorely needed on long trips).

Reaction score
We bought a rental 17 xlt 4x4 from a Ford dealer down here in San Diego in March of 18. I was lucky to find a loaded xlt with sunroof, navigation, apple car play, leather with heated/cooled seats AND the HD towing package. It had 33k miles on it and I paid $33k off an original sticker of $62k (I know that Avis didn't pay near this, I think I saw they paid $52k but whatever I felt I got a steal on a one year old SUV). I wanted the xlt because I wanted the 18 in wheels and not the 20s. I have absolutely no idea how I was able to find this and haven't found one since. There were a few cosmetic issues that I am working through fixing myself, but overall it has been absolutely trouble free. Just drove it from San Diego to Canada and back and had no issues and averaged over 20mpg. Camping trip to Canada towing trailer coming soon.

I would not worry about buying an ex-rental. We looked at a bunch and some were beat and some were nice you just need to put in the leg work and find a nice one.

Mean_Dean

Reaction score
Bit older thread, I just picked up a 2017 Limited EL that was listed as a rental by CarMax, had everything I needed and the wife's requirement of push button start. :lol: Title history shows it was titled in Florida and bought at auction there, probably spent its life driving around Orlando for Disney and Universal Studios. It had 49K on the odometer but both my good friend that is a mechanic and my local Ford dealer checked it out and gave it a super clean bill of health.

My only concern was it had 3 key fobs programmed to it and I only got 2, one of them was missing the physical key and the clip to hold it in was broken. Had my dealer get me 2 new fobs and completely reset all keys so that 3rd one that is floating around out there somewhere will not be able to be used to take the vehicle.

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My only concern was it had 3 key fobs programmed to it and I only got 2, one of them was missing the physical key and the clip to hold it in was broken. Had my dealer get me 2 new fobs and completely reset all keys so that 3rd one that is floating around out there somewhere will not be able to be used to take the vehicle.

So, you are saying your only concern is no longer a concern, right?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I purchased a 2017 EL Limited last year in SoCal. It was around half off new, with around 55 - 60K miles on it (got to love depreciation). I forget the precise mileage. Carfax showed it as a fleet vehicle in Las Vegas. Carmax did a poor job vacuuming under trim, so during deep cleaning we found a ton of sand. Not sure where that came from. Body and interior were in excellent condition.

Anyway, an important consideration for me was that this was going to replace my Honda Odyssey and would be used as a tow vehicle. I purchased it to tow my new 27' travel trailer back from SoCal to Houston. The EL Limited and above trims come with the heavy duty tow package, which includes a variety of goodies. Integrated trailer brake, upgraded radiator, etc. I think this package is optional on the lower trim levels. I also got an extended warranty to 125K miles. So, if anyone reading this is considering one of these vehicles, I would say make sure you get a trim level with a heavy duty tow package if you plan to do any serious towing.

Expy00

Reaction score
My wife and I purchased 2017 XLT EL for her daily driver. We were looking for the HD tow package but could not find one so equipped. I am upgrading those components ( In-dash TBC, HD radiator, and auxiliary transmission cooler). I tow an 8660 GVW travel trailer. I would have liked a Limited, my was happy with the XLT which was not "loaded."

One comment about buying a rental(Enterprise): My expy was hit in a parking lot after only one week of ownership. The body shop found the other side had also been hit and repaired though it was not recorded on the carfax report. The shop noted that rental companies don't have to report body repair work He also criticized the repair as "looking like an 'Enterprise' repair job!'" Though this is not serious damage, it was disappointing.

But I do like the car am not unhappy with the purchase.

barrydu4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife and I purchased a 2017 Ford Expedition Limited that was a demo. It only had 7000 miles and was in fantastic shape. The dealer would pull them out before they reach too many miles. We also got a fantastic price too. Maybe you can look into that?

aagitch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The wife wanted a full sized SUV so she got a 2017 XLT last week that was a rental. We have purchased former rentals in the past. I did the usual carfax and looked over vehicle top to bottom. Was shocked at how the interior was in such new condition. We're very happy with it. I will be replacing all fluids in it like I usually do with used vehicles.