Purchasing a used 2018-2019 ford expedition, most used do not have the HD tow package..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pete47

Reaction score
Can this be installed by ford aftermarket? would love a definitive answer to this.

LovinPSDs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can this be installed by ford aftermarket? would love a definitive answer to this.

All the stuff can be added, the one thing you want to watch for that's a "big ticket" item is the gearing. Not sure how much this matters in a 10 speed anymore, but 3.73s would be the preferred gearing.

LyoddChrissmiss

Reaction score
I have a new 2020, it not the heavy tow. I had the dealer install a ford brake controller and will also soon get a tranny cooler installed. I don’t tow too heavy but close to my limit.
I figure engine, suspension, and everything else is the same except for the 3.73. My 3.31 gears do fine.
Besides I came from using a 2010 explorer V8 to a Expedition towing the same trailer and cargo.
Also a WDH is the key

LovinPSDs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a new 2020, it not the heavy tow. I had the dealer install a ford brake controller and will also soon get a tranny cooler installed. I don’t tow too heavy but close to my limit.
I figure engine, suspension, and everything else is the same except for the 3.73. My 3.31 gears do fine.
Besides I came from using a 2010 explorer V8 to a Expedition towing the same trailer and cargo.
Also a WDH is the key

How big of a trailer? I got turned off of the 3.31 gears from the bulk crowd here in the 4 gen section.

LyoddChrissmiss

Reaction score
My trailer is 21ft weighs 4500 dry. I never pull it with anything in its tanks.

I do have a bit of remorse not getting the HD, however with the factory controller installed and loaded, the Expy pulls excellent even with the 3.31.
The only thing I feel I need is the tranny cooler for piece of mind.
I did reach out to the dealer to see if they can install a ford oem tranny cooler part#
JL1Z-7A095-B.
It’s my buddy who runs the dealer and will get back to me.
I’ll update my findings