Question about AC recharging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeafCyberExpy

Reaction score
Have a 2017 Expedition XLT.

Known facts:
Capacity in Kilograms1.2
Capacity in Ounces44
RefrigerantR-134a
Type of refrigerant oilYN-12-D (PAG)
Viscosity of refrigerant oil46
Total oil capacity minimum ounces7.1
Total oil capacity maximum ounces7.1

About to replace the radiator and have conflicting information.

1) When replacing the radiator, is it necessary to evacuate the AC compressor/lines to remove the radiator?

2) If necessary, I understand that I have to recharge the compressor (have the necessary equipment), but is it necessary to add more refrigerant oil, when the compressor was not replaced? I know that adding too much is not good, so when I do this, I do not want to add oil if it is not necessary.

Thanks in advance
Michael

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just to make room to pull the radiator out. Only the tranny cooler lines are actually attached to the radiator. I attached the service manual chapter on the cooling system in case you didn't have it. Adding oil is a judgement call. If you notice a lot of oil coming out with the discharge then yes you'd add oil. When you recharge the system listen to how the compressor sounds. They make a bit more noise if they're low on oil.

Attachments

• Expy Gen3 Cooling System.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DeafCyberExpy

Reaction score
Thank you for that, I had just purchase a pdf version of what should be the service manual.

Is it really necessary to remove the entire front bumper (per the manual)??

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DeafCyberExpy

Reaction score
Also, my purpose is to upgrade radiator and also add aux oil trans cooler so I can self install the HD Tow package (536 package). I know some people have said that the radiator is not a real necessity but I live in Phoenix where we have excessive temps and pulling trailers up north means high grade elevation changes where I have seen plenty of over heated trucks/suvs on side and I don’t wish to be one of them….

OP
OP
D

DeafCyberExpy

Reaction score
Oh ok. Are you using the Motorcraft RAD180 radiator ? I think it's 1.25" core instead of the standard 1" core, or something like that. Out there you can never have too much cooling ! Good Luck !

Radiators at Rock Auto

No, I got the OEM HD Tow package radiator from the dealer, I am new to working on Expy's and just didn't have time to research aftermarket at the moment.

Also, I am trying to get the Grille off, and it seems to be just stuck... not sure what else to do but take the whole bumper off. You have any advice? The pdf doesn't really show that removal process, or I could just be missing it... not sure.

OP
OP
D

DeafCyberExpy

Reaction score
I have to say that after actually getting the bumper off, it actually wasn't that bad... there were too plastic poppets that I missed that held the entire on that took me over thirty minutes to find... but once I did, I had to react fast as it literally come off on top of me. :eek:

67244796891__8AD8E157-723B-4F3C-B1F1-3CF033FCDD5F.JPEG67245450310__228F0469-2D1B-4810-90BD-3788D5D8B84D.JPEG