Question about buying used, 2014 vs 2015 and up Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmexplorer

Reaction score
Newbie here, I don't own an Expedition yet, but i'm looking into buying one.
Family hauler, 4x4 capabilities, want to have this truck with expedition/overlanding duties in mind.
and the aftermarket doesn't seem to offer much that i can see, so i guess some fabrication will be requiered if i was to own one.

I have a lot of questions about the truck, starting with the years, with reliability in mind, better to have a 2014 with the 5.4L over the 2015 and up with the 3.5L turbo engine ? how is the auto trans in both models ?
Looking into a used rig with say no more than 35k miles or so, and probably have it at least for 150k miles or so, i think the 5.4's are reliable, but i don't know crap about the new 3.5l turbo engines.

Looking for expedition mods, things like for example a winch, and i found any of the hidden winch mount plates for the 2014 F150 will fit for instance any Ford Expedition from 2007 up to 2014 it seems, 2015 have the intercooler in the spot where the winch will mount, so i'll be toasted with one in a 2015 or up ? or maybe there are other options for the 2015's and up models to mount a winch ? i found an steel front bumper from black ops, $1600 and it looks like it weights 2000lbs, with no suspension options, i don't want a truck that will drive like crap because so much weight was added to the nose, with nothing but a 3" spacer to correct for that.

Which brings me to the suspension, so to lift an Expedition, it seems the only option is the Readylift spacer lift, 3/2 lift?, i don't see any aftermarket upper control arms available for this SUV's to correct caster/camber with this much lift ? is it because upper control arms are not needed for 3" lift ? any other platform with IFS i've had in the past had required aftermarket control arms after 2" lift, and this one lift the front 3", but i don't know anything about Fords, so hoping you guys with this kits can steer me in the right direction. living with the most minimal caster is not what im looking for, i'm ok with running factory caster (on the upper limits, not the lowest ones), or maybe there is something that can level the truck, i think i saw a 1.5" spacer for the front, that won't requiere upper control arms ? is there anything better than just spacers, like taller springs, or coilvers for this trucks ?

Also for the lift, i see only spacers, but i don't see longer shocks ? is there afterrmaket longer shocks for this trucks, for example, with the basic 3/2 lift, are they longer shocks to replace the factory ones ?

Armor:, are there rock sliders avaialble for this trucks ? i won't be doing rock crawling, but a winch and rock sliders are basics for my needs/local trails, how about skid plates? trans skid plates, gas tank skids etc, etc ?

Gearing:
What's the stock gearing for the 2014 or 2015's an up, can i run 285/70/17 tires with 17" wheels ? or would i need to have at least 18" wheels ?
I've seeing a video with a dude running 35's and the 3/2 lift, would i have to regear to accomodate 35's, full loaded truck with family/gear etc ?

4x4 capabilities, do this trucks have ABS electronic locking mode when in 4x4 for all modes, 4Hi and 4Lo ?
Familiar with Atrac in Toyota world, and Jeep Wrangler JK BLD system.
Also say i wanted to equip the rig with a rear electonic Eaton locker, is this possible just changing carriers, same with regaring the truck, say the gears were to low, and i wanted to fit front/rear diff with 4.10's ?

In my SUV selection i'm also considering a Toyota 4runner, and the aftermarket is plenty for that one, lift kits, armor, bumpers, rock sliders, gearing, lockers, control arms, coilovers, etc, etc, you name it, but the 4runner lack in the space department, and the engine is not exactly a power house, my kids are close to been teenagers, we have 3 of them, and we live an active life, lots of exploring in remote areas in Southern Calfornia, Nevada, Utah etc, i had a 2013 Jeep Wrangler 4 doors with 35's and all the mods you can imagine, but the lack of space was killing me, i'm not looking to go the same places i did with the Jeep, but want to have something that can take me a little deep into the desert or mountains with some ruts here and there, we like to go and set camp in this areas, and the Expedition given it's size will be perfect for what i want, and have the extra power i want out of an expediton rig, hoping to have a decent traction control system, and decent clearance to get the job done outdoor.

Thanks a lot for the consideration fellas.

OP
OP
R

rsmexplorer

Reaction score
Ummm, i'm feeling like a martian, hopefuly because the forum is slow today. Anybody want to help an enthusiast looking for those who know better about this particular platform, please feel to set me straight, am i looking into the wrong platform here ? i've been looking the entire day, and the lack of aftermarket is scary indeed, i didn't struggle one bit to find what i was looking for in Toyota (4Runner SR5) and Chevy (Tahoe) camp, i'm struggling badly with Ford (Expedition) and Nissan (Armada).

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's 'cause, as far as I can tell, there's very little after market for these trucks. If you just look at total unit sales, there's far fewer Expeditions and Armadas out there, so the customer base is smaller. And it ends up a chicken and egg problem where people looking to do significant mods go for the trucks with the bigger after market. That being said, you should be able to find lots of aftermarket stuff for the 2015+ Armada, but you'll have to be willing to look a little harder. After all, it is nothing more than a re-badged Y62 Patrol with a far larger customer base of off roaders than the Expedition. As an example, instead of going to arbusa.com, go to arb.com.au and go look at the front bumper options for the Y62 patrol...

Plati

Reaction score
I got my 2014 EL in late 2015 for $35K w/34K miles (201a & 202a packages), was an off lease vehicle so I was pretty sure it got regular oil changes.. Use it on the interstate and forest roads in Rockies or wherever. I think the Expy is a great SUV for a variety of driving but not really a premium off road beast. I personally like my 5.4L vs EcoBoost. Have heard on here that the EB gets better mileage BUT you need to run premium to get that. My 5.4 is plenty powerful for me so I dont need turbo power and I expect the 5.4 to be less maintenance problems. I also heard newer ones with 10 speed auto trannys might be more breakdowns also. The Expy is an all around SUV that Soccer Moms can drive to the Supermarket but can also be called to heavier duty when needed.

Very windy here today, just had this cherry tree come down.
Carpenter Ants had compromised the trunk ....
This will get cut-up/seasoned ... and be used to BBQ for a few years!
IMG_0085.JPG

Last edited:

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got my 2014 EL in late 2015 for $35K w/34K miles (201a & 202a packages), was an off lease vehicle so I was pretty sure it got regular oil changes.. Use it on the interstate and forest roads in Rockies or wherever. I think the Expy is a great SUV for a variety of driving but not really a premium off road beast. I personally like my 5.4L vs EcoBoost. Have heard on here that the EB gets better mileage BUT you need to run premium to get that. My 5.4 is plenty powerful for me so I dont need turbo power and I expect the 5.4 to be less maintenance problems. I also heard newer ones with 10 speed auto trannys might be more breakdowns also. The Expy is an all around SUV that Soccer Moms can drive to the Supermarket but can also be called to heavier duty when needed.

Very windy here today, just had this cherry tree come down.
Carpenter Ants had compromised the trunk ....
This will get cut-up/seasoned ... and be used to BBQ for a few years!
View attachment 24585

Envious about using the Cherry for BBQ.

But I’m not convinced you have to use premium fuel to get better gas mileage...I have heard the fuel affects the HP numbers, but the little (if any) effect it would have on mpg is minuscule.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5.4L is rated 14/20
3.5L is rated at 16/22

Some sources say 14/18 on the V8 and on the eco 15/19.

They are very close on fuel consumption nonetheless. I prefer the 5.4L V8 but others prefer the ecoboost, depends what you as the buyer prefer honestly. My 5.4L has never shorted me on power and I’ve driven some very powerful trucks, pulls whatever you need and gets up and goes just fine. If you were going to keep the truck forever and put 300k on it yes I’d say the 5.4L has a better shot. honestly both powertrains in those model years are very reliable and should have no issues to 200k when properly maintained. Basically either one will do what you want so it really comes to preference.

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
15+ will have better resale and gets better MPG and power, but almost no suspension and lighting option

07-14 is cheap & more modding friendly (not so much the engine, but lift kits coilovers suspension options, like the aforementioned longer shocks --- Rancho Quicklifts, also custom lighting, etc)

A lot of shit is available and adaptable to expeditions (especially 07-14 stuff) with light to no modding, but is marketed as F150 equipment. Half the time even the vendors and manufacturers haven't got a clue (foglamps, mirror covers, some running boards, most wheels, etc.)

For skid plates, government model SSVs have em, at least the 4x4's (very cool el cheapo modding platform, but it's a pretty big project to retrofit a bare one)

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
15+ will have better resale and gets better MPG and power, but almost no suspension and lighting option

07-14 is cheap & more modding friendly (not so much the engine, but lift kits coilovers suspension options, like the aforementioned longer shocks --- Rancho Quicklifts, also custom lighting, etc)

A lot of shit is available and adaptable to expeditions (especially 07-14 stuff) with light to no modding, but is marketed as F150 equipment. Half the time even the vendors and manufacturers haven't got a clue (foglamps, mirror covers, some running boards, most wheels, etc.)

For skid plates, government model SSVs have em, at least the 4x4's (very cool el cheapo modding platform, but it's a pretty big project to retrofit a bare one)

When I thought my trans went out and shopped a bit I found the 15-17’ units have about the same on resale, neither are currently in production anymore.

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I thought my trans went out and shopped a bit I found the 15-17’ units have about the same on resale, neither are currently in production anymore.

I meant later

Pretty soon ANY 14&older expy won't stand a chance in hell of selling for over $9999, regardless of how loaded or low mileage