Question about plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Willshooter3

Reaction score
Okay. I will not say I have read ALL of the threads/posts/bulletins..etc... about the crappy plugs in our ride. But, I will say that I spent a lot of time pouring through them.
So here's my question.
Will it help to gradually start spraying the carb cleaner into the plug wells ahead of time, maybe even on a daily basis for say a week? Clear up the carbon over a longer period of time and run seafoam in the tank at the same time?

JuniorExp03EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
how many miles and have they ever been changed? i wouldnt say its necessary. just a long reach air gun would be better to get all the gunk out. just get the ratchet on there and lightly tap it to get it break off. make sure you hold onto both ends of the ratchet. you should be ok. do not remove the fuel rail with exposed spark plug holes i had an o ring get stuck inthere and previous owner left some gunked up electrical tape inthere too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

John Stephan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Use an impact to zip them out on a hot engine. I did it and didnt break a single one. I also ran 2 full fuel tanks with 1 qt seafoam in each.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

John Stephan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I originally bought my plugs online, which was a mistake. They were boxed as Motorcraft SP-546 but clearly were not. I have pics at home with comparison of the junk I bought online, the plugs I pulled and the ones I bought at the local AZ. I bit the bullet and paid $12.19ea for a set of 8 at the local AZ.

I think the junk online was factory seconds or out of tolerance units. The gaps were all over the place, the straps looked odd. The coil side tip was different and overall they were very poor in appearance. Maybe they were SP-512s? Ford used those for a couple years when the problem of broken plugs came about but they were quickly made obsolete by the SP-546.

Oo I found pics on my work computer. Top plug is what I pulled. Mid is online crap. Bottom is AZ plug.4e0f1ce2bab362c60e76ebb2f6854313.jpgbce6fafb11c819384b8fb2c613528126.jpg

Plati

Reaction score
Use an impact to zip them out on a hot engine. I did it and didnt break a single one. I also ran 2 full fuel tanks with 1 qt seafoam in each.

Seafoam is THE BEST!
The only thing equal to Seafoam is PlastiDip

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
People do seem to have good luck with impact and warm engine but I would rather get it hot and let it cool a few minutes while I pull the COPs out then blow out plug wells and then pour spray some PB blaster in there and then go back to first plug I sprayed and just crack it loose with ratchet. Then spray or pour some carb spray or berryman's B12 in in and let it soak for 45-1 hr and then some more pb blaster then snug back up and then loosed while feeling the tension. Might have to go back in and out and spray some more and work it back and forth 6-8 times to be safe. They should come out without damage as safe if not safer than forcibly zipping them out warm with impact.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I originally bought my plugs online, which was a mistake. They were boxed as Motorcraft SP-546 but clearly were not. I have pics at home with comparison of the junk I bought online, the plugs I pulled and the ones I bought at the local AZ. I bit the bullet and paid $12.19ea for a set of 8 at the local AZ.

I think the junk online was factory seconds or out of tolerance units. The gaps were all over the place, the straps looked odd. The coil side tip was different and overall they were very poor in appearance. Maybe they were SP-512s? Ford used those for a couple years when the problem of broken plugs came about but they were quickly made obsolete by the SP-546.

Oo I found pics on my work computer. Top plug is what I pulled. Mid is online crap. Bottom is AZ plug.4e0f1ce2bab362c60e76ebb2f6854313.jpgbce6fafb11c819384b8fb2c613528126.jpg

I buy everything online, but I tend to only buy from reputable retailers or large parts warehouses. If you have a part number on them you should be able to identify them, provided they aren't counterfeits. I've never received counterfeit auto parts, but I have gotten a number of other counterfeit items (Eneloop batteries, Herm Sprenger dog collars, ExOfficio boxer shorts, etc.).