Question concerning rear door locks.....?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wal92tt

Reaction score
1999 EB 5.4 both rear door locks only work manually. Before I tear apart the doors, is there a known issue or trick other than replacing the actuators? Has anyone modded the locks/actuators as a fix? It's a pain in the dupa with 3 kids!

Plati

Reaction score
Seems kinda odd they both stopped working vs just one. Did they both stop working at the same time? Did you try keyfob & the driver door switch?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2000 does pretty much the same, with the passenger side front and rear, being the worst. Short of testing into each door, and inspecting, it's a guess on everyone's part. The locks never seem to fail opening/closing the same way. You might want to pull driver's door first, you might get lucky in there.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

bmrisko

Reaction score
Have you verified the driver door switch is good? That would be the easiest (and cheapest) place to start.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The door lock actuators in those trucks are a problem. Had problems with them on a 2000 Expedition and a 2000 Excursion. Tried taking them apart and fixing them which was a waste of time.

First, make sure it's not an issue with the kiddie locks. They seem to apply by themselves. Then just change both actuator motors. The first one will take you some time, but after you have that figured out you'll rip through the second in ten minutes.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Train, which one went out on your 2000? I'm betting it's the main one in driver's door.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my left driver's side rear passenger door went out in and replaced it in '01; replaced solenoid actuator and no problems since.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Moose, eventually I replaced all of them on both cars. Every one broke, one by one. But I was loading five kids in them most of the time so all the doors got a workout.

Joseph3

Reaction score
Yes I think my 2000 Expy is cursed. Everything works great except for those door locks. The driver door seems to be the worst in my case, so I bought an actuator (it's still on my workbench, haha). And what is up with the child locks putting themselves on? My rear passenger door does it about once a month (more if the door is getting used a lot). If I was shuttling kids around in my Expy the door lock thing would really make me crazy. The other thing I don't like is the automatic door locking when you start moving. There is a process you can go through to disable that feature but guess what happened when I disconnected the battery. Back to automatic locking again. I really do like the Expy - with the exception of the door lock games!