Question concerning rear door locks.....?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the child lock thing on a 98 can easily get activated by the jarring/hit of the door closing shut, all works via rod(s)/linkages connections, pretty sure on mine, the inner handles get deactivated, but will open from outside

prob they get loose over time, an easy fix to stop that at least is maybe something
like wedging the switch in one position

u can prob sort out the rear locks thru/behind the driver's panel, or i'd go there first, u might not even have to remove the panel

i lost all ( ~ at the same time) my power windows & not sure the bottom line but running good known power line(s) to the up/down rocker switches wiring, all behind/in the driver's door & they all work normal

also, or prob easiest & first thing to check is there are a buncha relays (~3+) for the locks accessible from the cover on the top right side of the dash, where u can piggyback a power line, if that is the issue, there's a vid out there on that

pretty sure in that vid, all pwr door locks stopped working at the same time

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
When I go to downtown Rochester ... I'm thankful for the auto door locks. :eek: I remember when I went to San Juan Puerto Rico, the driver always locked all doors and didnt even want to stop at STOP signs and red lights for fear of hijack.

After being robbed at a convenience store when I went in to buy coffee (rifled through console and took my spare change and a flashlight) I always lock 3 doors even while standing there to fill my gas. Will not leave Expy unlocked and unattended for 2 minutes.

BOB4254

Reaction score
I have a mint 1998 Expedition. Once in a blue moon a door lock will not work. I spray WD-40 on and into the door locks on the side of the door. Works like a charm.

ACEXPY

Reaction score
Wierd mine doesn't lock automatically when I start to drive and have changed battery.

StarWatcher

Reaction score
There is a resister to protect against overheating that breaks down over time. There are YouTube videos showing how to do cheap workarounds that don’t require replacing the actuator. Apparently you can wrap aluminum foil around the resister which is square in shape or replace it with a piece of appropriately sized copper. You no longer have the overheating protection but the door locks work. Just don’t let your kid sit there locking/unlocking the door repeatedly. Some of the locks on my 2000 Expedition are starting to act up. When I finally get aggravated enough I’ll try one of the workarounds.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
My sister's 2000EB rear doors would not open. I put the windows down and manually worked the lock plunger. I was able to open the doors, from the inside handle. I couple of good door slams and good shot of WD40 got everything working.

Plati

Reaction score
I had Carpenter Ants marching in & out of my attic on the cable tv cable. They would make it all the way to my bathroom. I sprayed WD40 on 10 feet of the cable. You could watch them walk up to the WD40 ... stop ... and turn around.

WD40 can do anything.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had Carpenter Ants marching in & out of my attic on the cable tv cable. They would make it all the way to my bathroom. I sprayed WD40 on 10 feet of the cable. You could watch them walk up to the WD40 ... stop ... and turn around.

WD40 can do anything.
Like they say,

Truth is stranger than fiction.