Question: Rear Alingment Toe-In

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ssmock

Reaction score
2014 Expedition 4X4 Heavy Duty Tow Package. About I towed a classic car on a U-Haul auto transport about 1800 miles. No issues and in fact it towed perfectly. This is about the third time I have done this with no issues. Total weight is about 5,500Lbs.

The Ford dealer always checks the alignment when I have the oil changed as a part of their service. After getting back from this trip they are telling me the rear Toe in is out of alignment. I had the alignment checked about 6 months before taking this trip by a independent shop after buying a new set of tires and everything was within specs. My question is would / could towing a trailer make the alignment go out in the rear. I believe this is a self leveling suspension (no air) on the 2014. I am having my independent shop check this out but wanting to ask the question. Maybe alignment is something to check right after completing one of these trips. Thanks!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its possible. The extra weight of pulling that trailer could have tweaked the rear. It's also very possible that the dealers rack is off. I've seen so many times in shops I worked, where the alignment tech would drop one of the rim heads, that gave the reading's. No tech wants to tell the boss he dropped an expensive piece of delicate equipment. So alignments went on as normal, but with a lot of comebacks. Most rears don't have any provision for adjustments, so what they do is set the fronts to match. The SUV actually goes down the road slightly crab like, but it works. Ever wonder why they want to do 4 wheel alignments? This is one reason.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes