questions for FX4 owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michguy

Reaction score
A couple of questions for FX4 drivers. First, and this would also apply to the heavy duty tow package vehicles, do you believe that you are getting significantly poorer gas milage because of the lower rear end associated with the limited slip set up? Second, do you believe that you have a slightly harsher ride than would otherwise be the case due to the shock absorbers in the FX4 package? (I wonder if that might be offset a bit by the taller profile tires on 18 inch wheel vehicles such as the FX4.) In general, would you order the FX4 package again if given the chance to do otherwise?

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can only guess on gas mileage differences and I can’t speak to any ride differences. As for the towing package, if you get the FX4 package, the only thing the towing package gets you is the trailer brake controller and the backup assist. The trailer brake controller can be added by your dealer for $500. So the question is then do you want the trailer backup assist for $600... I’d buy an FX4 if I had to do it over again...

EricExpedition

Reaction score
Gas mileage is going to be significantly based on your driving style. I was able to get 23.8 MPG in 2H and Eco mode on our first 300 mile trip to Florida. Some 2WD SWB leadfoots aren't getting 20 MPG. Personally, I didn't like the way the CCD in the Platinum we test drove seemed to "bob" up and down, especially compared to a Raptor which "floats" more. Comparing a 4x4 XLT to an FX4, I doubt I could tell much of a difference. That being said, I do plan on upgrading to aftermarket shocks when I add larger tires.

IMO, the FX4 package is the best bang for your buck because it is based on the XLT trim. I could live without most of the creature comforts included in a Platinum (especially for $15-$20K more than what we paid) but the one thing I wish that it had was the stock LED headlights. You may have seen the complaints on here about how bad the stock halogen projectors are.