Questions on towing with a Ford Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Greenphrog, What model Expedition are you driving? 2011? I have a 2010 with a very similar size travel travel (2018 Salem Cruise Lite 31', 5893 dry weight.) I made 1 tow with it using WDH w/ sway control, but couldn't hardly get over 55mph due to trailer sway (I only had maybe 400 lbs additional weight in rv) and a white knuckle experience every time a semi truck passed due to vacuum. I've pulled heavy loads with my 2002 F350 from coast to coast, but this was the first time with my Expedition. I only towed about 160 miles round trip but am very unsure about taking it out with Expedition again... I am interested in your setup because my family fits better in the Expedition than in my old dually.

then your WD isn't set up right. My trailer weighs about the same dry, and I tow with a 2003 and never feel unsafe

Dr0idattack

Reaction score
Greenphrog, What model Expedition are you driving? 2011? I have a 2010 with a very similar size travel travel (2018 Salem Cruise Lite 31', 5893 dry weight.) I made 1 tow with it using WDH w/ sway control, but couldn't hardly get over 55mph due to trailer sway (I only had maybe 400 lbs additional weight in rv) and a white knuckle experience every time a semi truck passed due to vacuum. I've pulled heavy loads with my 2002 F350 from coast to coast, but this was the first time with my Expedition. I only towed about 160 miles round trip but am very unsure about taking it out with Expedition again... I am interested in your setup because my family fits better in the Expedition than in my old dually.

Which WDH are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenphrog

Reaction score

Sorry, I just saw this (usually get a notification). That expedition is a 2010 Eddie Bauer 2wd. I have four kids so I understand the family perspective. Tires make a huge difference. If you are pulling with P rated then you will get sway (feels like driving on marshmallows). D or E rated tires are a must have in my opinion. We have a Husky round bar WDH with the additional sway bars. I crank them down pretty well. 65 mph is usually my max. Make sure you also don't put any real weight behind the axles of the trailer. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will Williams

Reaction score
Anyone ever tow another vehicle? I'm thinking of moving out of state and was thinking of putting my 2006 escape on a U-hale trailer vs driving it. I have never drove with a trailer other than in the army (Humvee and small trailer). Any suggestions are welcome.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I towed a 95 SHO on a uhaul trailer with my 97 Expedition about 450 miles and it towed like a dream and didn't even know it there... Would tow 70 MPH easily

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Anyone ever tow another vehicle? I'm thinking of moving out of state and was thinking of putting my 2006 escape on a U-hale trailer vs driving it. I have never drove with a trailer other than in the army (Humvee and small trailer). Any suggestions are welcome.
Many times... An open trailer would be even easier. Make sure you have a sway control and WDH set up correctly. Might not be completely necessary with an open trailer, but I'd still use one.

20190727_154312.jpg 20190727_182346.jpg

Chaseus

Reaction score
I towed a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 door on an open UHaul car hauler from southern Illinois to North Texas (about 750 miles) back in June.

My Expedition is a 2014 Limited non EL. It towed beautifully.

Thomas Warden

Reaction score
Speaking of towing, I’m getting ready to tow my 28’ Jayco for the first road trip with my 2019 Expedition XLT. I have a good weight distribution hitch, but bringing it home from the Dealer, it seemed like my front end was “light” ( which is the only time I have towed it). Is this normal? Also another question; does anyone tow and use your Cruise Control?