Questions regarding 10 speed transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redstripe19

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2019 XLT basic package. I’ve heard that the car will learn your driving style and adjust the transmission accordingly. My questions are

1. How long does it take to learn?
2. If 2 people drive it regularly does it average the styles?
3. Can you erase what it has learned and start over?
4. If you vary between normal, eco and sport modes does that matter?
5. What is it learning and adjusting anyway?

Thanks

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The initial learning is not very long, but the transmission is always adapting. Unless your driving styles are radically different, I doubt you will even notice the difference. The transmission will usually revert back to the original factory programming by either a dedicated scan tool or removing power from the modules. In my older Ford, which incorporates the transmission control into the PCM, It can also be done by removing the PCM memory keep alive fuse. I have not delved into the Expedition enough yet to see if pulling fuses 14 and 16 under the hood will due the same thing. I also do not believe that changing modes will change the adaptive learning, but instead will adapt it to the mode you are using. An example of the learning would be, if you drive light footed it will adapt to shift sooner and under less pressure so the shifts will be hardly felt. If you drive heavy footed it will hold shifts a little longer and more importantly it will increase shift pressure to engage the clutch packs faster to save wear and prevent excessive heat buildup, in that case you will begin to feel the shifts.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
An example of the learning would be, if you drive light footed it will adapt to shift sooner and under less pressure so the shifts will be hardly felt. If you drive heavy footed it will hold shifts a little longer and more importantly it will increase shift pressure to engage the clutch packs faster to save wear and prevent excessive heat buildup, in that case you will begin to feel the shifts.

This is good info, thank you. I always wondered and now I have an example. Good foruming!

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my jeep removing the battery cables and touching them together will "erase" the learning and let it start over. I can't perceive a difference between "factory" and "adjusted learning" on my jeep.

2018expyXLT4wd

Reaction score
On my jeep removing the battery cables and touching them together will "erase" the learning and let it start over. I can't perceive a difference between "factory" and "adjusted learning" on my jeep.

Disconnecting the battery would certainly result in clearing volatile memory. A scan tool would be required to clear trouble codes...connecting the two battery cables together (after removing them from the battery) sounds..... 'mysterious'

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Disconnecting the battery would certainly result in clearing volatile memory. A scan tool would be required to clear trouble codes...connecting the two battery cables together (after removing them from the battery) sounds..... 'mysterious'

giphy.gif