Radar Detector Mirror Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone tapped into the wiring above the mirror to power a radar detector on a 2018 yet? I’ve got a mirror tap Ive used on previous vehicles, but my tester can’t get into the small plugs to be able to test for power and ground and I don’t want to risk blowing a fuse just guessing.

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The green/orange wire at the rearview mirror is ignition switched 12vdc power and the black/white wire is chassis ground. There is also a green/brown wire there along with brown and blue wires for other stuff so be sure not to get the two green wires mixed up.

OP
OP
B

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, but the only wires I’m seeing up there those colors are going into the lane departure camera and when I test there (there are 2 green/orange) both are only carrying 3 volts. I can’t get any power to show up on any of the 4 wires that go directly to the mirror. Any help is appreciated. This is a limited so it has the lane departure camera, rain sense and mirror wiring all up there. This is way more complex than my previous vehicles up there.

OP
OP
B

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, still no luck getting the mirror tap to work. Even the new one with the tiny prongs wont fit enough to get power (plus I still see two green/orange wires at the camera. they are both identical when you put them beside each other). Do any of the other wires going to the mirror or rain sensor have power? I can’t find any that do but I can actually tap those. I don’t want to go splicing into those wires or any really on a brand new vehicle. I guess I’ll just use the power plug and cord until I see somebody else successfully do it.

OP
OP
B

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I got out and messed around again and finally found the wires I was looking for. For those of you searching in the future: You need to tap the white (+) and black (-) wires on the mirror side of the mirror plug, and that will get you the power you need.

0F1A697F-C51B-4D70-A68F-0093CD5F542A.jpeg 623A6098-5A51-4E01-BC0F-958DE3F0FEF3.jpeg

TxBrian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does the V1 go off and back on when the engine shuts off at lights?
I had tapped at the fuse panel but my V1 would go off and on.
Ended up using the V1 piece that plugs in to the OBD reader.

OP
OP
B

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Honestly I don’t know. I turned that feature off with forscan before I even tried installing the V1 as I prefer having real AC all the time.