Radiator leak / coolant disappearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
If it helps anyone - the coolant crossover pipe is not under the intake manifold running to the back side of the block as in F150s or other (previous) Expeditions. The thermostat housing is quite a bit different than the reference videos I found on youtube (for F150s and (older?) Expeditions). It seemed to be on so tight that I didn't want to pry it any harder for fear of breaking the plastic. The thermostat housing is behind the actual thermostat and unless I missed a bolt - I had them all off and the thing would not budge. I would have to get the Ford service manuals/drawings to know for sure but I left it alone since it was not leaking from there. I replaced the water pump and thermostat, and so far so good. On to the next issue...

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The videos you saw were probably for the Gen 1, which ran through 2017 on the Expedition. The Gen 2 is like the 2017+ 3.5 Ecoboost on the F150. If you can find some videos specific to that model year, they would likely show the correct configuration. Hopefully the fix works for you!

99Redcobra

Reaction score
Mine was the water pump, no noticeable drips, level dropped an inch in 1500 miles, ESP covered it. 52k miles

bmk1

Reaction score
Did the water pump replacement fix the OP’s problem?
I have a new to me (only 2 months) 2019 limited 73k miles. I couldn’t regret this purchase any more. We traded our 2016 highlander bc we needed the room for 2 small kids and a dog that thinks he needs to go everywhere. Initially we loved the vehicle. Love the size , love the look, love the way it drives.

The love stopped the very first “cold start” that it sounded like we were starting an old tractor. after a month or so finally got the cam phasers replaced luckily under a free warranty the dealership offered. Thinking we were good to go when I got it back opened the hood just to look around and noticed the coolant was low AGAIN after the cam phasers were replaced. I’ve already added twice in a month just thinking it was low. So now I’ve added 3 times everytime to max and then it goes well below the min line in a matter of days / a week. I added dye and we drove it the next day. There is dye in the oil and what appears to be on the left side of the engine on some pipes(hard to describe bc I don’t know what I’m talking about). I know after some research this vehicle had some AC work done so I’m not sure if that dye on left side was from that before me or not. But the coolant in the engine worries the crap out of me. I also have noticed how the fan will run excessively like someone else mentioned. Car never reads hot on the dash either.

I plan on calling ford again tomorrow. This has been such a nightmare of a 2 months and I’m hoping we can get it fixed and at this point do I just punt and cut my losses and get something else?? This is very depressing to say the least to have to deal with this.

DsMAX

Reaction score
I have a new to me (only 2 months) 2019 limited 73k miles. I couldn’t regret this purchase any more. We traded our 2016 highlander bc we needed the room for 2 small kids and a dog that thinks he needs to go everywhere. Initially we loved the vehicle. Love the size , love the look, love the way it drives.

The love stopped the very first “cold start” that it sounded like we were starting an old tractor. after a month or so finally got the cam phasers replaced luckily under a free warranty the dealership offered. Thinking we were good to go when I got it back opened the hood just to look around and noticed the coolant was low AGAIN after the cam phasers were replaced. I’ve already added twice in a month just thinking it was low. So now I’ve added 3 times everytime to max and then it goes well below the min line in a matter of days / a week. I added dye and we drove it the next day. There is dye in the oil and what appears to be on the left side of the engine on some pipes(hard to describe bc I don’t know what I’m talking about). I know after some research this vehicle had some AC work done so I’m not sure if that dye on left side was from that before me or not. But the coolant in the engine worries the crap out of me. I also have noticed how the fan will run excessively like someone else mentioned. Car never reads hot on the dash either.

I plan on calling ford again tomorrow. This has been such a nightmare of a 2 months and I’m hoping we can get it fixed and at this point do I just punt and cut my losses and get something else?? This is very depressing to say the least to have to deal with this.
Not sure about OP, but I had the same issue. I would fill mine, drive for hours, days or weeks and then it would just “disappear”. The telltale was one day I came out of work early to see a puddle under the car. Definitely coolant. Taking the pump off there were signs of corrosion around the gasket and loose gasket seal on the pump body. So far I haven’t had an issue with many miles out on it since.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

What did you resolve? Did you call Ford?

bmk1

Reaction score
What did you resolve? Did you call Ford?
They replaced a heater core hose and swear up and down no coolant in engine oil. I made them put in writing. Apparently an additive in the oil can make it have a green shine under UV light?

Now I’m trying to figure out why my fan is always on. Before I figured it was bc the low coolant but now that that leak has been fixed I’m not sure.