Radio Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mmart

Reaction score
What’s up everyone.
New to this forum but not new to expeditions. I’m on my second, had an 01 XLT and now have a 2010 EB. Long story short the radio display dimmed out completely on me. I tried a fix I found online but that didn’t work out. Made it worse actually. So I searched OEM units and found that there’s about 20 different part numbers. The one in my truck is AL1T-18C815-GC, but when searching that part I don’t find that model with Bluetooth. I even called Ford and ran my VIN and they gave me the same part # but they too said it’s not a Bluetooth model. So as it stands my head unit works but the only button that works on the dash is the volume knob. Every other button is shot. I can control it from the steering wheel or the rear console. I found someone selling the just the faceplate with the display board for cheap on eBay so I’m going to try and swap the boards and see if that works.
Has anyone done this successfully? I know the internal components of the head unit itself differ depending on what options are onboard but the faceplates all seem to have the same layout and interface, and I know for a fact that is what’s broken.
Thanks

FA24EDA5-C7CD-4824-9E92-319F49527E2F.jpeg

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I've never tried swapping a radio faceplate on these Ford radios, though I've worked with others. It may fit, it may not. It seems the radios are often made by several suppliers, and while two may look and function the same, they are manufactured differently and their internal parts don't interchange. It's worth a try, but I'd try to find a part that is returnable if it doesn't work out.

OP
OP
M

Mmart

Reaction score
I can tell that it will physically fit, the ribbon connector is the same between the face plate and the main unit. It’s returnable as well. Even if it wasn’t I’m only out about $20. The plastic is cracked on it. So if it works I can just pull the circuit board off and use the the plastic front from mine.

OP
OP
M

Mmart

Reaction score
It worked, $20 fix instead of paying a minimum of $300 for a refurbished unit.
Nice to get lucky once in a while

FC0F30CA-501B-4C83-A8CD-FF4744A78378.jpeg

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It worked, $20 fix instead of paying a minimum of $300 for a refurbished unit. Nice to get lucky once in a while

You didn't get lucky, you had two knowledgable members helping.....thanks trainmaster and Mmart :waytogo: