Raising a 2014 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldpaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all, just picked up my new to me 2014 Expedition limited. My last two cars were the 01 and 97. I like the new girl, but I'm pretty sure she's smaller and definitely shorter. What are my options for raising her, and does anyone know how high I can go in Massachusetts? I've got 20" rims.
Thanks

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Readylift 3/2. Do a search because there are plenty of threads we’ve posted in regards to lifts. Here’s my 2016 which you’ll see in every other thread about lifts. Readylift 3/2 over 35/11.50/20F0766256-1F9B-4558-8368-476E7299C07F.jpeg

OP
OP
oldpaddy

oldpaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Readylift 3/2. Do a search because there are plenty of threads we’ve posted in regards to lifts. Here’s my 2016 which you’ll see in every other thread about lifts. Readylift 3/2 over 35/11.50/20View attachment 24403
Nice ride!
I HATE how short mine is. It's like I'm driving a car. At this height the running boards are useless. I'l have to read up on the height laws in Massachusetts. I know we have some dumb law regarding how high it can be raised.

I noticed that the oil pressure gauge is at about 60-65%. Seems high to me. What's yours sitting at?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice ride!
I HATE how short mine is. It's like I'm driving a car. At this height the running boards are useless. I'l have to read up on the height laws in Massachusetts. I know we have some dumb law regarding how high it can be raised.

I noticed that the oil pressure gauge is at about 60-65%. Seems high to me. What's yours sitting at?

We don't have oil pressure gauges lol. All of fords vehicles just use an indicator that sits a bit past half if you have any oil pressure. It's all or nothing. Anything lower than 8 PSI and it shows nothing, anything over 8 and it shows at 60%.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We don't have oil pressure gauges lol. All of fords vehicles just use an indicator that sits a bit past half if you have any oil pressure. It's all or nothing. Once it drops below a certain threshold it shows 0 pressure and lights come on. Anything lower than 8 PSI and it shows nothing, anything over 8 and it shows at 60%.

Its referred to as an 'idiot gauge'. They stopped putting real oil pressure gauges in cars a long time ago. Incredibly, the oil pressure problem complaints went to nearly zero at the same time.

Huh.....

OP
OP
oldpaddy

oldpaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did the math (Wheelbase x wheel track ÷ 2200) and I can raise the truck 3.6"

Why are the lift kits 3" front and 2" back? Why not 3"/3"?

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did the math (Wheelbase x wheel track ÷ 2200) and I can raise the truck 3.6"

Why are the lift kits 3" front and 2" back? Why not 3"/3"?

Factory "rake" stance has your cab tilted downward by about an inch in the front

Most lifters, as well as many customers buying so-called "leveling kits", wish to even it out

PS not sure what that math youre showing is about, but yeah strut tower spacer or custom coilover lifts are usy limited to 3", with any further lifting done where the body mounts on the frame

OP
OP
oldpaddy

oldpaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Will these 3/2 lift kits raise the ground clearance? That's kind of important for me. I live a half mile out in the woods on a dirt road and I also like to go out on the beach.

OP
OP
oldpaddy

oldpaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Factory "rake" stance has your cab tilted downward by about an inch in the front

Most lifters, as well as many customers buying so-called "leveling kits", wish to even it out

PS not sure what that math youre showing is about, but yeah strut tower spacer or custom coilover lifts are usy limited to 3", with any further lifting done where the body mounts on the frame
That's Massachusetts state law regarding raising vehicles up. Bastards are hardcore now. They film the inspection stations.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's Massachusetts state law regarding raising vehicles up. Bastards are hardcore now. They film the inspection stations.

That actually makes sense though, since it's in line with the maximum lift offerred by responsible established manufacturers

Some of the barn-engineered redneck lifts are patently ridiculous and look waaaay unsafe when theyre swaying in a crosswind or something