Rant: During My Oil Change...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The FORD dealer wanted to put 0W-30 weight or 0W-20 weight full-syn (they could not seem to figure out which one). I re-researched, and told them put the proper Ford recommended 5W-30 weight in it, despite them whining they use the other oil all the time.

Like fuel quality and tires, you could argue oils iton perpetuity. However, the proper weight recommended by the manufacturer (for you engine/temps/conditions) will 99% of the time will ALWAYS be the proper weight.

They argued, "well, we use it all the time, I use that weight all the time, blah-blah etc." But when I really balked the counter guy called parts, found the 5W30 full synthetic, and utilized it it for a proper oil change.

This also told me that whatever they were using was "bulk" and not by bottle.

Bulk is cheaper by the barrel and IMHO, could almost be anything. Now does that make it a cheaper grade of synthetic? I won't know b/c I will never go back to that dealership. (the bill reflected the 6 quarts of synthetic at their cost).

My old policy? I buy the oil I want, I buy the filter, and they charge me for labor/disposal. It is a bit more of a PITA, but if you can't trust Ford...

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bet the tech didn't even use that oil...pumped in what always does and kept the oil quarts for himself
just DIY and be done w/ it - never have to question it!

flying68

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The FORD dealer wanted to put 0W-30 weight or 0W-20 weight full-syn (they could not seem to figure out which one). I re-researched, and told them put the proper Ford recommended 5W-30 weight in it, despite them whining they use the other oil all the time.

Like fuel quality and tires, you could argue oils iton perpetuity. However, the proper weight recommended by the manufacturer (for you engine/temps/conditions) will 99% of the time will ALWAYS be the proper weight.

They argued, "well, we use it all the time, I use that weight all the time, blah-blah etc." But when I really balked the counter guy called parts, found the 5W30 full synthetic, and utilized it it for a proper oil change.

Bulk is cheaper by the barrel and IMHO, could almost be anything. Now does that make it a cheaper grade of synthetic? I won't know b/c I will never go back to that dealership. (the bill reflected the 6 quarts of synthetic at their cost).

My old policy? I buy the oil I want, I buy the filter, and they charge me for labor/disposal. It is a bit more of a PITA, but if you can't trust Ford...
I don't understand why a dealer would not use the factory spec oil. If you have an engine problem related to the oil system, like phasers, Ford could deny the warranty claim and then you would sue the dealer for damages based on them not using the proper oil as specified by the manufacturer. Matter of fact, I don't know that I have ever had any dealer use anything other than what was specifically specified for that vehicle.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I’m usually a DIY type of person. I had FordPass rewards, so I was using my “free” oil changes. They used a cheap filter and put oil additives in. I wasn’t happy. I changed the oil on my own a couple of days later. I’ll have to check out accessories I can buy with the FordPass rewards. I will likely only be back to the dealership for warranty.

OP
OP
Expedition Dave

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was all over the service bay like a bum on a baloney sandwich. And while I didn't see it, the tech disappeared in order to get the proper oil. If he stole it, well...

Either way, most dealerships know they are on the hook and can't hide the work they did, or didn't do. This is just a really crappy F-Dealership.

And I spent a lot of time in smoking hot garages wrenching on cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, etc. It barely gave me any pleasure then. and now? I don't mind spending a few bucks to get the dirty work done.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was all over the service bay like a bum on a baloney sandwich. And while I didn't see it, the tech disappeared in order to get the proper oil. If he stole it, well...

Either way, most dealerships know they are on the hook and can't hide the work they did, or didn't do. This is just a really crappy F-Dealership.

And I spent a lot of time in smoking hot garages wrenching on cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, etc. It barely gave me any pleasure then. and now? I don't mind spending a few bucks to get the dirty work done.
I’m gonna steal the bologna sammich phrase and agree with you on your last statement. I just don’t want to turn wrenches on this vehicle, with Lincoln coming to my house to get it for all maintenance why would I. I have zero liability if issues arise from anything repair or maintenance related if I let them do it all. I’ve worked on all my previous vehicles and I enjoyed it, but on this one I’ve never felt inclined to do anything.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Expy is at a local Ford dealer. They can't actually fix any of the problems I've described to them, but they were quick to tell me I need a coolant flush, oil change, read brakes, transmission fluid change, and new wiper blades (which I've just replaced).

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m usually a DIY type of person. I had FordPass rewards, so I was using my “free” oil changes. They used a cheap filter and put oil additives in. I wasn’t happy. I changed the oil on my own a couple of days later. I’ll have to check out accessories I can buy with the FordPass rewards. I will likely only be back to the dealership for warranty.

if youre not paying - the dealer is not getting paid (their full rate)...they usually look for other items so that they can increase the ticket sale...

I took my '17 f350 in for warranty / battery replacement (had less than 12k miles on it) and get a message that the tech recommended replacing the air filter and fuel filters - too many folks dont even know the service intervals and just pay it....I was pissed and let the service writer know....and showed him the owners manual and the recommended intervals which wasn't for at least 15k miles more... even for severe service!