Rapid clicking in the fuse box please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CameronP

Reaction score
I have a 1999 Ford Expedition and the 2nd relay in the fuse box constantly clicks when it’s in, when I pull it it will stop, when it is clicking all the interior lights flash with the click, also if you either press the break peddle or mess with the electrical seat controls the clicking stops, it does have an electronic breaking system installed from previous owner, not sure if that will help, the gauges also are acting kind of weird here’s a picture of what the owners manual says relay 2 is forC2E75A6A-1270-4E4A-96FD-96AF12B46985.jpeg

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Swap the relay with another one in the fuse box to see if you have a bad relay, which it sounds like you do.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 1999 Ford Expedition and the 2nd relay in the fuse box constantly clicks when it’s in, when I pull it it will stop, when it is clicking all the interior lights flash with the click, also if you either press the break peddle or mess with the electrical seat controls the clicking stops, it does have an electronic breaking system installed from previous owner, not sure if that will help, the gauges also are acting kind of weird here’s a picture of what the owners manual says relay 2 is forView attachment 70253

After determining if the clicking relay is bad:

Check to see if the brake lights are stuck on.

Disconnect the aftermarket electronic braking system controller - and see if that stops the clicking.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did both of those neither fixed it

If you’re not worried about losing any stored trouble codes - you could disconnect the negative battery cable for five minutes and the reconnect, to see if the system resets?

OP
OP
C

CameronP

Reaction score
If you’re not worried about losing any stored trouble codes - you could disconnect the negative battery cable for five minutes and the reconnect, to see if the system resets?
Ya i did that too even got a new battery, pretty sure I need to change the battery cables cuz they’re corroded really bad

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, if your battery cables (either one) are severely corroded the high resistance will cause a voltage drop, possibly enough to cause some of your problems. Test your voltage at the actual battery terminals (NOT the cable) and then test and compare voltage at the fuse/relay box under the hood at the cable connections. Those will most likely be in good shape as there is no battery acid to corrode them. If you see any difference you will probably need to clean/replace your battery cables.

OP
OP
C

CameronP

Reaction score
OK, if your battery cables (either one) are severely corroded the high resistance will cause a voltage drop, possibly enough to cause some of your problems. Test your voltage at the actual battery terminals (NOT the cable) and then test and compare voltage at the fuse/relay box under the hood at the cable connections. Those will most likely be in good shape as there is no battery acid to corrode them. If you see any difference you will probably need to clean/replace your battery cables.
Great thank you for the advice