Rattle noise when starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jphill5688

Reaction score
I have a 2005 expedition Limited with 120 thousand miles. Over the last few months I’ve noticed a rattle sound when I turn the key to start it. The rattling is coming from the engine compartment. It goes away as soon as I let up on the key. I presume it’s related to the starter. It’s been happening less frequently lately. Any recommendations other than wait and see?
Thanks

Donald Bell

Reaction score
When you say rattle what do you mean? What part of the engine do you suspect it's coming from? Front, rear, left, right, canter? Could be cam phasers, can lifts, timing chains or a leak in exhaust manifold! Of it is exhaust manifold you'd smell fuel tbh or a puffing sound as well. Just asking for clarification because mine has a small really not noticable rattle that started 2 weeks ago and I just drop mine of at the shop yesterday to get looked at!

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It goes away as soon as you let go of the key..I would think starter or flexplate. You can pull the inspection cover off the transmission and look at the flexplate teeth also make sure it's not loose or broken. The shaft on the starter could have worn out bearings.