Rattle Trap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Possibly. But removing the weatherstripping literally takes about 15 seconds. Pop off the plastic door sill trim, and then just take off the weatherstripping from its channel.

Kep - So you snap off the door sill plate. Then remove the weather stripping from the channel and snake the piping into the round hollow part of the weather stripping through the weep hole? Do I have that right? Just trying to make sure I am following you.

Thanks

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Precisely. I sprayed the weep hole with spray silicone first, and the piping fed right in. There are some points in the weatherstripping where the piping will stop, and cannot be fed anymore. Then just find another weep hole slightly beyond where the piping stopped, and repeat the process of feeding more in. You’re just trying to provide more substance to the existing weatherstripping. That, coupled with the strike adjustments, made all 4 doors rock solid, rattle-free.

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well - I found myself being called out-of-town for an extended period before getting the chance to try Kep's door rattle fix. While driving the car on my trip, the driver's door rattle started to get to me. So, I am trying something else as a short-term fix. I bought this assortment of felt pads with adhesive backing at the Dollar Tree store. They are about 1/8" thick. I looked at the door and can see that there are 3 mounted conical rubber bumpers. I found where they meet the door frame opening. I cleaned the area on the door frame opening with some rubbing alcohol and then mounted these pads. So far so good. No "door ajar" issues either. I'll keep you posted on my results......

Attachments

• IMG-0466.jpg
    IMG-0466.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-0467.jpg
    IMG-0467.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-0468.jpg
    IMG-0468.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-0469.jpg
    IMG-0469.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-0470.jpg
    IMG-0470.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 7

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well - I found myself being called out-of-town for an extended period before getting the chance to try Kep's door rattle fix. While driving the car on my trip, the driver's door rattle started to get to me. So, I am trying something else as a short-term fix. I bought this assortment of felt pads with adhesive backing at the Dollar Tree store. They are about 1/8" thick. I looked at the door and can see that there are 3 mounted conical rubber bumpers. I found where they meet the door frame opening. I cleaned the area on the door frame opening with some rubbing alcohol and then mounted these pads. So far so good. No "door ajar" issues either. I'll keep you posted on my results......

This cheap and easy solution is still working. No door rattling, no "door ajar" issues.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357