Rattling/Grinding noise? HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IWE SOLENOID! Thanks Mindgame. I finally got it to act up again yesterday afternoon and tried the little test you suggested. Apparently this is a pretty widespread issue with certain years of all 4WD Fords. I'm going to try to get the part and fix it this afternoon.

Keep us posted :) :head3:

OP
OP
F

faulk175

Reaction score
*UPDATE* Sorry for taking a while to get back to you to let you know what I found. This is long post but I want to give all the info that I can in hopes of helping someone else in the future if they are having similar problems. After trying what MINDGAME suggested, I was pretty confident that it was the IWE solenoid, and even more so after reading all of the info about this problem with a lot of 4WD Fords. Within a few days of the grinding/clanking noise starting, the AC would sometimes blow out of the dash vents, and sometimes out of the defrost vents. I was pretty sure the two were related but when I was looking around under the hood, tracing vacuum lines, I couldn't find anything obvious. When I finally got the new IWE solenoid in the mail (more info to follow) I went out to get it replaced. I removed the battery and battery tray and there it was. I had a vacuum line completely broken in half that I couldn't see before because of the battery tray being in the way. It was about 6" away from one of the lines going into the IWE solenoid. My thoughts were that the broken line were most likely causing my AC issue as well as the solenoid issue. Being that the new IWE solenoid was only $40 and damage caused to the front end would be hundreds, if not thousands, I went ahead and replaced the solenoid with the new part. Not worth the risk, if you ask me. I got her switched out, battery tray and battery put back in and took her for a spin. No grinding/clanking and the AC works as it should. Thanks for all the help. One more thing. The local dealership wanted $49 for the part. I found it for $24 online plus 15 shipping. That only saved me $10 but being furloughed from work, I'll take that 10 bucks anyday.