Rattling under acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Djyoung

Reaction score
I have a 2010 expedition. I have had it for 4 years now. I had a rattling before that turned out to be the vacuum for the 4wd not disengaging properly. This isn't that same thing. It only happens when I am on the gas pedal. It used to only do it around 40mph, now it's pretty much all the time except for maybe under 5 mph. I've had it in the shop and had injectors replaced, spark plugs, front hubs, and a new transfer case. Still makes the noise. I've jacked it up, crawled around and looked for anything loose. I didn't see anything abnormal. It is driving me insane and no-one can figure out what it is. If the noise starts and I give it a lot of gas, it stops, but when it evens back out, it starts again. If it starts the noise and I take my foot off the gas pedal, it stops. It sounds like its close to the driver side front somewhere. I can "feel" it in the gas pedal if that makes sense. I've tried to make a video, but it's kinda hard to make it where you can hear it. Any ideas?

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you checked the heat shield on the Y pipe on the exhaust under the transmission? It comes loose and rattles like that. A hose clamp will fix it.

Modelcarguy

Reaction score
Does it rattle on startup too? If so you might want to check the state of the exhaust manifolds. They do crack on the 5.4L engine and can exhibit a rattling sound as they move around under startup and acceleration.

Utah Driver

Reaction score
Vacuum controlled 4 wheel drive thinga-majig. Axles try to engage when you jump on the throttle. I'm gonna frame this if I get it right.

bbsims

Reaction score
Had exact situation. This diagnosis is spot on.
I shifted to 4A (4WD Auto) and sound goes away.
Recommendation on fix?

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had exact situation. This diagnosis is spot on.
I shifted to 4A (4WD Auto) and sound goes away.
Recommendation on fix?
Could be the 4WD solenoid, IWBs on the hubs, or the vacuum line that controls them. In my case I replaced the vacuum line and the hub grinding disappeared.

Arlin

Reaction score
I had a 2004 Expedition 5.4L NBX (offroad package) that had the same problem--when nearly new the factory battery was leaking and destroying the vacuum lines on the firewall & in turn would not stay in 2H. All the clanging made it sound like the front wheel assembles were coming apart! New battery and new vacuum lines fixed the problem. Also removed the "bag" like contraption from around the battery as the battery was fairly close to the vacuum lines for that model year and from time to time would smear/dab acid on the lines. Problem solved.