Rear A/C Not Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TampaGator

Reaction score
Good Morning

2010 Ford Expedition EL King Ranch

Out of the blue this weekend, the rear air stopped working. No matter how I adjust the knobs in the rear or the console up front, there is no air coming out of the back. The front has full functionality and is ice cold. Has anyone had this before? Any suggestions?

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good Morning

2010 Ford Expedition EL King Ranch

Out of the blue this weekend, the rear air stopped working. No matter how I adjust the knobs in the rear or the console up front, there is no air coming out of the back. The front has full functionality and is ice cold. Has anyone had this before? Any suggestions?

Have you checked fuses and relays?

OP
OP
T

TampaGator

Reaction score
I should have mentioned that. The fuses and relays look fine. I did notice when I was checking it again this morning with no one in the car, I hear a click in the back when I change the fan speeds. I did not hear that before when I had the family in there.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fan may be toast or have an obstruction. Time to open it up since you have confirmed fuses & relay are ok. May be an easy fix since it happened suddenly, I hope.

2008COExpi

Reaction score
The rear HVAC has two of these. I simply replaced both instead of trying to figure out which one was clicking. Install videos can be found on YouTube.

094805A0-35C1-450E-AF5C-0F4FF30CC30F.png

2008COExpi

Reaction score
Here is a link on how to replace. Ignore the years in the title, this worked for my 08 and should work for yours. Consider yourself lucky it wasn’t the front blend door actuator as that one is much more difficult :)

Dustin Gebhardt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The rear fan in my '07 EL died last year and it was an easy replacement. Just pull out a few trim panels, bend back the quarter panel, and 3 torx screws plus the electrical and it was done. 20 minutes, start to finish with cleanup. My fan would work on and off. A tap on the motor body would start it going again, so it looks like the brushes were worn. I still have the old fan with the intent of replacing the brushes, too.

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The blend door motors are one for temperature and one to switch between ceiling and floor. If the problem is no air as in no fan, those aren’t the issue.

there is a fan speed resistor that mounts into the duct upper left of the fan motor. I’m not sure if there is a control module also or just the resistor. My 2008 Expedition rear fan I’ve noticed has 4 fan speed positions but 3 drops speed back to 1 and 4 drops back to 2. It’s like my rear fan control goes Low, Med, Low, Med.
3 and 4 are the same as 1 and 2. It does this both dash and rear console fan control.

7A415AED-8782-4555-B512-BDBFD24E5C19.jpeg