Rear AC noise....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USAF Sarge

Reaction score
The rear AC on our 06 Limited makes a clicking noise. I know from a quick search that it's one of the Actuators (?).

First off, what is the proper name of the part needing replaced? Secondly I thought I read a write up on here on how to gain access to them, but I can't find it. Probably using the wrong combo of words as usual! Also and I might be mistaken, I thought I read there was two different style shafts (D and Star shaped, unless I'm remembering something from a different vehicle I owned) so the proper part number is needed off the offending part.

I figure if I'm going to have it apart, I'm going to replace both of them, just so I don't have to take it apart a few months later. So any guidance from the brain trust would be highly appreciated.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The green circled actuator is the high/low vent control blend door. The red circled actuator is the temperature control blend door actuator.

Typical Motorcraft part numbers are YH-1743 and YH-1856 But double check the part numbers on your existing actuators when you order.

x612VW.jpg

Blend Door Actuators on Rock Auto

Attachments

• DODoAE.jpg
    DODoAE.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for your service. The best way to do a search is with google, not sure why it works better than the search function on this site. Still can direct you back to this site.

OP
OP
USAF Sarge

USAF Sarge

Reaction score
Thanks for your service. The best way to do a search is with google, not sure why it works better than the search function on this site. Still can direct you back to this site.

Thank you, it was both an Honor and Privilege to Serve, and I would do it all over again with out hesitation or regrets.

As for the search part, I'm discovering that, funny how that works.

Last edited:

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It could be either one but in the 3 instances I've seen these fail in a 2nd gen its always been the top one, the high/low. Our navigstor had this issue, I set it to the roof vents and simply unplugged it. I was able to reach w the rear tray removed, no real disassembly. Its tight and if you have larger hands or not great dexterity it may be a challenge. I have zero desire to have vents on the floor back there anyway as half the time they'd be obscured by kids bags and the like. It's never been an issue since.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It could be either one but in the 3 instances I've seen these fail in a 2nd gen its always been the top one, the high/low. Our navigstor had this issue, I set it to the roof vents and simply unplugged it. I was able to reach w the rear tray removed, no real disassembly. Its tight and if you have larger hands or not great dexterity it may be a challenge. I have zero desire to have vents on the floor back there anyway as half the time they'd be obscured by kids bags and the like. It's never been an issue since.

Yeah, that's actually what I did as well. 15 years ago. I replaced the broken actuators with new ones, put the blend doors where I wanted them ( High and Cool....) and unplugged the actuators. If I need to do any temperature regulating I just do it from the front dash vents. But I'm in south Florida so it's always on max cool anyway. Our only winter month is January down here and I might run without the AC compressor on for that month, but that's about it.

BlackCoffee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you, it was both an Honor and Privilege to Serve, and I would do it all over again with out hesitation or regrets.

As for the search part, I'm discovering that, funny how that works.
Here is a similar thread.

Good luck from an old Talon I Nav.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
best to do is change both since youre already there and wont have to take the panel off again...i've done it so much it takes me a couple of minutes