Rear air bag suggestions - 2000 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

larkja

Reaction score
Rear is a bit saggy, so looking to replace the bags. A few questions:

1. What brand do you recommend? Seen some YT videos and it doesn't look too difficult.
2. Replace air compressor at same time? Mine still seems to work. But as a preventive?
3. Replace the solenoids or just replace the gaskets? Seems to work, but everything is 21 years old. Plastic gets brittle. The solenoids are not expensive, so replace as a preventive?
4. Replace rear shocks too? They are not leaking, but again, 21 years old.

Anything else?

Thanks

Last edited:

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Out of my stable of 1rst generations I only have one with rear air suspension. Couple years ago, on my 2000 RWD, I replaced the bags only. I purchased the Suncore brand. Was not difficult for me to do. Was recommended to spray soapy water on the bags to check for leaks. Later I had issues with the compressor and relay. I replaced the compressor with a used assembly from pull-a-part. Cleaned up contacts on relay. Probably not a bad idea to replace solenoids as well. Along with the shocks, other parts include the air suspension switch and air lines and tee. If I have to do over again I probably will go with the conversion kit.

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry larkja, inadvertently I linked to a 4 wheel drive conversion kit for the rear. i meant to link to rear wheel drive conversion kit for my 2000, which has air suspension in rear only, thus eliminating the need for all the other components of air suspension. Kit consist only of 2 coils and 2 gas shocks for the rear, an easy swap. RWD models shocks are already gas up front. If your 2000 is 4 wheel drive with front air shocks also I understand your reluctance. Either way I have been happy with the Suncore brand. I believe most do the conversion, instead of replacing bags and other components on rear wheel drive models.
Complete 4 wheel drive air suspension bundle
4 wheel drive rear air bags
4 wheel drive rear air bags and shocks

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

larkja

Reaction score
^^^ I have both rear air bags and front air shocks, so can't just do rear conversion only. It's a 4wd Eddie Bauer. I'll look into the Suncore brand. The fronts seem to be ok for now so might just do rear bags, solenoids, shocks, and compressor.

Thanks

OP
OP
L

larkja

Reaction score
Just ordered air bags, solenoids, compressor and bracket, and shocks. Fronts seems to be holding up just fine. I'll do those at a later date. Thanks for the advice.

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had rear airbags in front air shocks on my 2000s Eddie Bauer 4 x 4. I did the conversion kit for the rear and then the coil overs for the front and have been happy ever since 2005. It’s the best way to go and then you won’t have to worry about that air suspension dropping later on down the road.