Rear Air Conditioning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddbau

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first time making a post because i can usually find my problems from other peoples past experiences since it’s such an old vehicle. My Expedition has not had rear A/C for a long time (my dad owned it before i did) and i am having problems pin pointing the problem because it seems that most people don’t have the same package as I do. I have an Eddie Bauer with a sun roof which gives me a rear climate control panel attached to the center console along with the stock radio controls. when you use the controls nothing happens but the front A/C and heat work great. My rear A/C goes to the two small vents shown and the 3rd row which would help circulate cold air throughout the entire vehicle instead of it all coming from the front 4 vents.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 19

VoxVeritatis

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first time making a post because i can usually find my problems from other peoples past experiences since it’s such an old vehicle. My Expedition has not had rear A/C for a long time (my dad owned it before i did) and i am having problems pin pointing the problem because it seems that most people don’t have the same package as I do. I have an Eddie Bauer with a sun roof which gives me a rear climate control panel attached to the center console along with the stock radio controls. when you use the controls nothing happens but the front A/C and heat work great. My rear A/C goes to the two small vents shown and the 3rd row which would help circulate cold air throughout the entire vehicle instead of it all coming from the front 4 vents.
Not sure which model year you have. Looks like your EB has manual climate control. My 2002 Eddie Bauer has the power moonroof with EATC, so the rear climate controls look and work differently than yours, with vents placed throughout the floor and ceiling of the middle and rear passenger cabin areas. Images 1 -5, from left to right:
(1) Front controls for rear HVAC (Looking down on front of console)
(2) Rear HVAC and audio controls
(3) With cupholders open
(4) Mid-cabin ceiling vents behind power moonroof
(5) Rear ceiling vents above 3rd seat

Your rear controls appear to be fan/directional only; no temperature controls. I would check power to that rear fan since that and a directional baffle of some kind are the primary operators involved in the system. I'd start with the fuse(s).

Attachments

• IMG_20220509_083649475.jpg
    IMG_20220509_083649475.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220509_083457736.jpg
    IMG_20220509_083457736.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20220509_083419704.jpg
    IMG_20220509_083419704.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20220509_083707822.jpg
    IMG_20220509_083707822.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20220509_083726891.jpg
    IMG_20220509_083726891.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 9

Capn Don

Reaction score
Here's my 2 cents worth. Since the front a/c works fine time to focus on the rear. As previously stated start by checking the fuse for the rear blower. Its fuse number 13 in the power distribution box, under the hood, drivers side. Its a 30 amp fuse and should be hot at all times. If that fuse is good then check the auxiliary a/c relay located in the same box. I'm not sure which one it is, but there is an index on the underside of the cover. Easiest way to check the relay is swapping it out with a known good one (the front a/c for example). If all still checks out good then go to the rear a/c blower motor and check for power with a test light or voltmeter. I've attached a first generation Expedition a/c wiring diagram to assist you. Its a pdf file.

Hope this helps, Capn'Don (now retired Capn'Don).

Attachments

• expedition ac wiring.pdf
    393.9 KB · Views: 11

SlivaRich

Reaction score
Are your temperature blend door actuators operating? If they do not open the doors to the vents you won't get any flow out of them. My 2003 Expedition had 3 one behind the radio in the dash to control the front and two in the rear for the aux heating and cooling. Are the A/C hoses to the rear unit cold ? Not sure what you mean by not working so this might be a stab in the dark.

hwy73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It appears he doesn't have a full rear A/C system with roof vents, but an auxiliary blower inside the center console to the rear. Using the diagram Capn Don supplied above, the circuit in the center of that diagram needs to be checked for power to the aux blower.