Rear Air supspension C1726

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GaryB

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 2010 Expy limited I just purchased a week ago. Noticed the other day that the back was sitting lower than the front in the driveway. Its got 162k on it, so I was already thinking of replacing the struts. Then I noticed this has an air suspension in the rear, and my bluedriver showed a C1726 code. What should my starting points be for diagnosis? I already looked and saw that the height sensors are indeed attached. Thanks for any insight.

Lorlainie

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Expy also. Been dealing with this issue for a few years now. 2 years ago I replaced the rear airbags and just last month they failed again. We finally replaced with regular struts and am so glad we did. No more compressor running and no more dropping in the rear. Ride is a little different but acceptable.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 2010 Expy limited I just purchased a week ago. Noticed the other day that the back was sitting lower than the front in the driveway. Its got 162k on it, so I was already thinking of replacing the struts. Then I noticed this has an air suspension in the rear, and my bluedriver showed a C1726 code. What should my starting points be for diagnosis? I already looked and saw that the height sensors are indeed attached. Thanks for any insight.
Do you hear the air pump running? It's right behind the passenger side head light.

OP
OP
G

GaryB

Reaction score
Strange thing. I pulled the RH height sensor off the ball stud, and raised it with my hand, and the compressor kicked on. Lowered it and it shut off. Took the other one off, and they both move freely. Then, I shut off the air suspension while it was pumped up to ride hight, then let it sit overnight. Did not appear to loose any air. Reset the code, and it hasn't come back on (been about a week).

On another note, the truck rides like a boat. I've got new loaded strut assemblies coming that I'll put in this weekend. I'm hoping it's just the front. Then alignment.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Strange thing. I pulled the RH height sensor off the ball stud, and raised it with my hand, and the compressor kicked on. Lowered it and it shut off. Took the other one off, and they both move freely. Then, I shut off the air suspension while it was pumped up to ride hight, then let it sit overnight. Did not appear to loose any air. Reset the code, and it hasn't come back on (been about a week).

On another note, the truck rides like a boat. I've got new loaded strut assemblies coming that I'll put in this weekend. I'm hoping it's just the front. Then alignment.
Glad to hear it doesn't sound like anything major. Good luck.

OP
OP
G

GaryB

Reaction score
OK, I think I figured out what is causing it.... I had some time with no issues, then I made a pull up an on ramp, WOT, from 20-70 or so. Right after that it came on, to check air suspension. It went off again after the next key cycle. I haven't checked with the scan tool, but I'm guessing it's that same code.

OP
OP
G

GaryB

Reaction score
Well, I've had a few more "check Air suspension" warnings on the dashboard. Still no idea what's causing this. Through Forscan I can run the service test, and it checks out fine. I'm new to Forscan, so I haven't figured out yet if it will let me open the vents manually.

Going to pull the air compressor out and take a good look at it this weekend. Anything else I should be checking? I've never seen it sag, I'm almost wondering if it can't vent.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've never seen it sag, I'm almost wondering if it can't vent.

Hitch up a trailer with some tongue weight and go for a short drive, or put a few hundred pounds in the rear cargo area. (note: with the liftgate open, I don't believe the suspension will raise or lower. Keep this in mind if loading or unloading heavy items. once closed and after a short duration, the self leveling will occur)