Rear Brake Pads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A few weeks ago when I had another flat I noticed the rear pads were getting close to replacement time. I ordered up some powerstop rear pads and put them on last night. It took me less time to do a pad swap on the rear than it does to change the oil. Extremely easy job to do but there were a couple items that others might find helpful.

1. You have to put the rear brake system into parking brake service mode. To do this get in the car and shut the door. Push the start button just to turn on to accessory mode. Push in the gas pedal all the way, push in the park brake button all the way and while holding these push the start button to turn off then turn it back on with the button press again (all while pressing the gas and the brake button). Once the vehicle is back on you can release the buttons and it should show on the display that the parking brake system is in service mode. Putting it back to normal at the end is the same process except you pull the brake button instead of push it.
2.I don't have normal automotive wrenches thin enough for the caliper nut. Luckily, I had a 17mm cone wrench to hold the nut while backing out the bolt. I may have been able to make it work with a pair of needle nose but the 17mm cone wrench was perfect.
3. Before removing the caliper I easily was able to push the piston back in with a screw driver. Not need to use anything special there, just a flat screw driver between the back of the pad and the piston.

That was it, took seconds to pop the pads out and pop new pads and new slide clips back in. My caliper pins still felt very well lubed, so I didn't relube them. The rotors were very smooth so I didn't worry about having them turned either. All in all, the easiest brake pad replacement I have ever done.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Wheelman-111

Reaction score
Greetings:

I just bought some Gin-You-Whine Motorcraft pads for 2018 XLT. Close inspection revealed they are similar but not identical. The curved cutouts presumably go with the caliper piston, but can anyone confirm?

Best regards,
Wheelman

Attachments

• 20230430_095754.jpg
    20230430_095754.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 7
  • FordPadsBk.jpg
    FordPadsBk.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 7

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I replaced my rear rotors and pads with Carquest painted rotors and Akebono brakes. They stop better than OEM pads.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's my question for you all.....Why do the rears wear faster than the front? Just today had an oil change, etc, done. My handy dandy (and very cute) service manager told me my rears are down to 6mm and the fronts are down to 9mm. Asked her why the rears are wearing faster than the front, but she didn't know. In the old days, the fronts always wore faster. Any incite as to why the rears are wearing faster?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's my question for you all.....Why do the rears wear faster than the front? Just today had an oil change, etc, done. My handy dandy (and very cute) service manager told me my rears are down to 6mm and the fronts are down to 9mm. Asked her why the rears are wearing faster than the front, but she didn't know. In the old days, the fronts always wore faster. Any incite as to why the rears are wearing faster?

Can’t answer your question.

The rear brake pads on my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 (purchased new - no towing) wore out quicker than the front pads.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its makes absolutely no sense for the rears to wear out faster than the fronts lol Doesnt the front brake apply most of the pressure when stopping? Very interesting. Any ford engineer would like to chime in?

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rear brakes wear faster in these RWD SUV if you use adaptive cruise control a lot or towing. Mine was replaced first time around 28k miles and again at 53k miles.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My take is that modern brakes are designed to apply the rears first to prevent nose dive on ordinary stops. From our family's experiences, it's been like that with Fords at least since 2010 and probably earlier

OP
OP
D

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The rear stock pads are an organic compound and wear faster. I also attribute some of the wear to extra braking due to traction control and some of that stuff. I think most is the fact that the rear pads are an organic compound which wears much faster. If you replace them with a semi-metallic, or ceramic, style pad the wear won't be anywhere near as quick. However, over 225,000 miles on my jeep jk it still wears the rear pads a little faster than the front no matter which pads I am using. The jeep tends to see a lot more "traction control" activation than my expedition though.

Organic pads tend to be quieter than semi-metallic and ceramic and I think that is one reason oems use them, and they are usually cheaper...

I haven't seen any evidence that rears apply first, could be true but I haven't seen anything to prove it. I just think with the modern brakes they are much better at proportioning compared to back in the day when it was disc front and drum rear, it was pretty common for rear drums to be doing very little braking. I know my 95 Dodge ram did almost no rear braking and the rear pads were still good at 100k miles. Disc conversions for that truck were fairly common due to the poor rear braking.