Rear diff covers and oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LAexpy

Reaction score
I saw looking into a Mag-Tec diff cover for the rear axle, and came across video on the Banks Ram-Air Differential Cover. Here's the video:
It shows you what goes on inside the differential when using one of the aftermarket covers. After seeing this, I will just stick with the OE cover

mnachreiner86

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depends what uses and preferences are but I can’t see why an OEM cover wouldn’t be fine. Any quality fluid is fine. I’ve always just used the Motorcraft stuff and it’s been great. Make sure you grab a 4oz bottle of friction modifier if you have a LS rear. Happy towing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I did mine, it was dripping/rusted. It takes (don't quote me) 2.7qts 75W140 synthetic. It's not cheap. The Diff is not a limited slip. It's a basic open gear set. It doesn't need the posi modifier additive. Make sue you remove the fill plug, before starting the job. The sealant used on the cover needs a 1 hour set time. Beware, the OEM ford cover came unpainted. I had to paint it. The after market are nice, but the only one that can see them are the guys who put it on a lift. The Steel cover worked this long, why change? Save your money.

Last edited:

mnachreiner86

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did mine, it was dripping/rusted. It takes (don't quote me) 2.7qts 75W140 synthetic. It's not cheap. The Diff is not a limited slip. It's a basic open gear set. It doesn't need the posi modifier additive. Make sue you remove the fill plug, before starting the job. The sealant used on the cover needs a 1 hour set time. Beware, the OEM ford cover came unpainted. I had to paint it.

That’s not necessarily true. Some are open and others have LS. He has to check the door tag or the tag on the diff. My 00 Eddie Bauer was 3.55 limited slip and if you don’t add the friction modifier you will absolutely know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Mine has A4WD and the tow package with 3.73. Maybe the 2wd have the limited slip.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 3.55 geared a4wd 2000 had the limited slip.

As others have said, your factory cover will work just fine. Sure the aluminum one you posted has cooling fins (which will also keep it cold in the winter) but it also has a drain plug. The benefit of a drain plug is not having to clean off the gasket surface every time you change the fluid. Is that worth $100 to you? How many more times are you going to change the fluid before you get rid of it? Only you can answer.

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Well the price difference is $30 vs $96 so for $60 does it make any difference? Prolly not. And at 221,*** after this change it will probably be the last.

So I guess OE for cover and gear oil is most prudent.

markfrei

Reaction score
When you check your Diff tag it will read either 3.55 (open) or 3L55 (Trac loc), or whatever gear set you have. Only need friction modifier it it's got the "L" for trac "Loc".