Rear door won't open from inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

minichunks

Reaction score
A couple of days ago the rear passenger side door of our 2019 Limited Max stopped opening from inside. I verified that the child safety lock is not engaged, but after toggling it back and forth a few times, I got the door to open correctly once. It has not opened from inside again since. Any ideas? If I swap the door closing mechanism altogether, does that also swap the child safety lock portion?

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve had this happen on mine a few times as well. Seems to happen every 5th time the door is attempted to be opened from the inside. On the rear driver’s side only. I’ve yet to find a fix.

Tuck

Reaction score
Something has come unhooked in the door internals. I would take it to the dealer if under warranty and make it their problem.

OP
OP
M

minichunks

Reaction score
Something has come unhooked in the door internals. I would take it to the dealer if under warranty and make it their problem.

Unfortunately we are beyond the warranty, and I didn't get the extended bumper to bumper. I plan to take the door panel off sometime soon, but was looking for guidance before i do it so I don't have to do it twice.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a generation 1 and the passenger side child safety switch drifts on over time and you cannot unlock from inside.

Initially the rubber door bumpers had fallen off and needed replacing . New ones improved the problem for a while.

I have had the door apart, lube everything and it still persists.

I am told that if the linkage from the door handle is too tight this will happen. My next plan is to check the linkage on both inner and outer handles to add some free play. Replacing the mechanism is the final option.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk