Rear End Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

osteodoc08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2018 Max LTD HD Tow 4WD 80k miles

had my back end start chattering when backing up out of my driveway a few months ago sporadically while turning to exit my culdesac. was driving home and felt it while taking some winding roads on the way home 2 weeks ago. Brought in for evaluation.

I bought this vehicle new. Meticulous maintenance and don’t drive it much now and drive my hybrid back and forth to work (120 mi round trip). Dealer was in TN and I’m in GA. My preferred dealer couldn’t get me the vehicle I wanted so had to go out on my own. It had a third party “lifetime power train warranty” from the dealer. Usually you can use the warranty contract, at best, for butt wipe.

Just got word from my dealer the locking diff actuator failed and was partially engaged and grenaded the rear end.

No I don’t accidentally engage it. Yes I placed it in and out of lock to see if it changed the chattering. With it on, it would fully lock but with it off, the pin wasn’t retracting all the way according to my service writer. Sometimes going in lock and out of lock would eliminate the chatter.

I placed in AWD and 2WD and 4Lo as well to see if that would change it previously and it wouldn’t.

All in all roughly $2100 repair estimate right now. Hope the third party “lifetime warranty” I received when I bought it from a dealer several hours away holds up. If not, it’s still getting fixed.

OP
OP
O

osteodoc08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Repair estimated to take 2 weeks between parts and repair.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine just failed at 25,000 miles. They took it on last Thursday and it got finished today. I didn't pick it up yet, but its supposed to be ready for me tomorrow as they had to bolt the rear suspension back in it.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine just failed at 25,000 miles. They took it on last Thursday and it got finished today. I didn't pick it up yet, but its supposed to be ready for me tomorrow as they had to bolt the rear suspension back in it.
Same deal the pin not retracting and rattling?
My 19 so far has been fine. Granted between a $15k 5 month deer rebuild at 980 miles and Covid, I’m at 13,000 lol

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm feeling the same way. Unless you convince me the Intercooler, Lightbar, Skids, and Catch Can are essential! :favorites13:
Essential? The only really was the skids, for me, the amount of snow and debris that flies up under vehicles in CO, it's pretty important. The cardboard shit they put in only sagged and caught snow.

The light bar is nice for the really long trips through antelope and deer worlds. Intercooler no. But I have always been a fan of having cars run cooler with better breathing ability. When I used to race rice burners, I tried some of the water injection systems to keep things cool. Not sure it worked but I tried.

Catch can? I don't know. This is my first ford turbo, and based on what folks say on this forum and the f150 forums, the amount of oil they catch seems to me to be pretty important. Haven't emptied it yet to see.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Deadman,

did they say what the fault was?

Same type of thing. The hydraulic actuator wasn't releasing so the posi was going in and out. They replaced ALL the internals in the rear end housing. The housing was re-used, but the guts were all swapped and also the hydraulic actuator of course. The service guys didn't have a lot of detail for me, but I'm just glad its done. They're delivering it to me tonight, so I'll know more after I get some miles on it.

I'm sure these won't be common failures for a while, because MOST of the 2018's did NOT have the tow pack and electronic locker, so they won't have the faulty parts. 19's had more tow packs, so the number of failures will increase as those get more miles on them.....

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Essential? The only really was the skids, for me, the amount of snow and debris that flies up under vehicles in CO, it's pretty important. The cardboard shit they put in only sagged and caught snow.

The light bar is nice for the really long trips through antelope and deer worlds. Intercooler no. But I have always been a fan of having cars run cooler with better breathing ability. When I used to race rice burners, I tried some of the water injection systems to keep things cool. Not sure it worked but I tried.

Catch can? I don't know. This is my first ford turbo, and based on what folks say on this forum and the f150 forums, the amount of oil they catch seems to me to be pretty important. Haven't emptied it yet to see.
Thanks @5280tunage, I appreciate your response. After joining this forum you were one of the first forum members whose posts got my attention. The first thread that had me making changes was @Deadman post on rear sway bars. Your responses were part of the reason I "bought in" on changing out my sway bars (plus I'm all set to use your solution for the front sway bar end links)! So, that had me wondering about the other changes you had listed in your signature line and if a any of those changes were ones I should consider. That led to additional research and my acquiring more knowledge about our vehicles. Now I know enough to be dangerous! Which means relying even more on this forum and its members sharing of information. Thanks to all!