Rear hatch leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04EddyExpy

Reaction score
I've noticed recently that when it rains or snows, my rear hatch leaks. It's not awful, and I usually only see 1 or 2 tracks of water dripping down the inside of the glass.

It doesn't seem to be hurting anything, and since the tailgate is aluminum, I don't anticipate any rust, but... I want to fix it.

The rubber gasket around the hatch seems to be in good condition -- no cracks or dryness, the rubber is still very flexible and clean.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I'm thinking about spreading a little oil over the gasket to try & get a better seal when the hatch is closed, to see if that helps.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 08 does it as well. I only notice it when I wash it at a car wash.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You may want to try putting on a pair of Jersey gloves and running your fingers of both hands several times between the grove in the gasket. I do this from time to time on my door seals. It may help solve the problem. The gaskets get squeezed over the years and this helps bring them back, Clean the gasket first. Let me know if it works.