Rear sag

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
OK, the term "sag" confused me. Without knowing the heights when the truck was new 8 years ago we don't know if it's sagging or not. Right now it's just different and could be normal. If anything it may need springs, not shocks (AKA struts). But the labor involved is probably the same to replace both.

-- Chuck

OP
OP
rollinstone

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, the term "sag" confused me. Without knowing the heights when the truck was new 8 years ago we don't know if it's sagging or not. Right now it's just different and could be normal. If anything it may need springs, not shocks (AKA struts). But the labor involved is probably the same to replace both.

-- Chuck
Good point re history. I bought the truck used and never really gave it much thought.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First question is do you have load leveling suspension or not. My comments below are relared to NON LOAD LEVELING SUSPENSIONS.

I have had the opportunity to measure the suspension level on my 2011 / 2014 and 2017 Expys. In all cases, I measured under the wheel wells to level ground and in all cases, when stock (see below) front to rear measured within a 1/4” of each other.

Last year, I had the local Ford dealer change the Struts / Shocks In my 2011. When I got the truck back the rear was higher than the front (opposite of your condition) And the front was bouncy. After investigation, I found the dealer used Non Ford packaged spring / shock combo units that were obviously not correct spring rates for the truck. Removing the aftermarket stuff and installing OEM Springs / Struts resolved the problem and the truck is now level.
Check your truck to see if it has OEM springs and struts at all 4 corners. If not that could be the basis of your issue.
Again my comments are only related to conventional suspension not the optional load leveling.

Great BBQ

Reaction score
I have a 2016 EL XLT 4x4, we use the truck to travel up and down the east coast fully loaded with out a trailer, I put a large clam shell on the roof and the back is fully loaded with me the driver and six passengers, I was getting some sag in the rear so I installed SUMO COIL SPRINGS in the rear and it helped 100%, I also seen in there videos that it helps with trailering. www.sdtrucksprings.com