Rear Seat Entertainment System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3Fords1Vette

Reaction score
I will own a 2018 Ford Expedition within the next few days.... unfortunately I have been unable to find the vehicle I want with the Rear Seat Entertainment.

Please let me know;

1.) What is the difference between the Factory installed Rear Seat Entertainment and the Rear Seat Entertainment installed at the Dealership.

2.) If my vehicle does not have the Factory installed Rear Seat Entertainment then should I have the Dealer install one or should I have it done at a specialty shop.

Thank you in advance!

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I could do it all over again, I'd go aftermarket. The amount of work to get them going is horrible unless you're siting in the second row and routing the audio through the vehicle sound system is laggy and requires the audio/video sync to be changed whenever they system looses it's bluetooth connectivity with SYNC. Also, when using it and stopping for a gas and go break, when coming back, it's unpredictable whether things will start back up where they left off or if you have to start everything over by hand, the ability to control anything from the front is a incredibly cumbersome and requires the FES to already be fired up from the unit themselves as well as having the phone connected to the car via the USB cable and the phone connected to the FES via wifi. The long and the short of it is the factory installed FES is a joke.

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just get a couple of iPads with unlimited data or use a hotspot (the Expy has one built in) and let the kids stream entertainment and games. Bonus, they can go in the hotel with you! If mom or dad need to get things started you can pass them back and forth. Headrest mounts re also readily available. Half the cost, all the access.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will own a 2018 Ford Expedition within the next few days.... unfortunately I have been unable to find the vehicle I want with the Rear Seat Entertainment.

Please let me know;

1.) What is the difference between the Factory installed Rear Seat Entertainment and the Rear Seat Entertainment installed at the Dealership.

2.) If my vehicle does not have the Factory installed Rear Seat Entertainment then should I have the Dealer install one or should I have it done at a specialty shop.

Thank you in advance!

Factory installed and dealer installed are almost the same thing. The dealer will have a department that is dedicated to installing parts added on that didn't come installed from the factory. They'll use the same parts, same dvd players etc that it would have been built with.

When I bought mine I had them add rear dvd's after the fact. Parts were ordered directly from Ford. I brought my truck back to the dealer a couple days after I initially purchased it and they had everything installed same day. Has worked like a champ from day one. Because the dealer installed it and its factory parts that means its all covered under factory warranty also

With that said mine is a 17 model. From what Ive gathered on here theyre using different parts on the 18's and its been kinda buggy. Lots of complaints about the whole system. Aftermarket might be a better option for you. Its up to you

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went with the iPad idea. The work great. They can be plugged into the usb ports and charged, connected to the Expedition's wifi and kids stream movies and tv shows all trip long. Works great!

IMG_1422.jpg

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went this route. It works great for our purposes (our 4 year old and 18 month old love them) and they were $150.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073S283N7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here they are...but forgive the AWFUL picture that looks like it was taken on a potato.

I hid the wires a bit, that was just a real quick "do they work?" install the day they showed up. In any case, they only go up for road trips so I don't work too hard to hide the wires.

80efaba2e4004f2dfe0086461810c374.jpg

twernst

Full Access Members
Reaction score
how
Here they are...but forgive the AWFUL picture that looks like it was taken on a potato.

I hid the wires a bit, that was just a real quick "do they work?" install the day they showed up. In any case, they only go up for road trips so I don't work too hard to hide the wires.

80efaba2e4004f2dfe0086461810c374.jpg
How do you pipe the audio into Sync?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
how

How do you pipe the audio into Sync?

I bought a $10 fm modulator off amazon and I just plug it into the headphone jack on the TVs and tune the radio to that station. It’s not fancy, but man it works and I don’t have to worry about lag or the sound getting out of sync or anything. Sometimes the old technology works better than the new stuff.

Mothnuts

Reaction score
If I could do it all over again, I'd go aftermarket. The amount of work to get them going is horrible unless you're siting in the second row and routing the audio through the vehicle sound system is laggy and requires the audio/video sync to be changed whenever they system looses it's bluetooth connectivity with SYNC. Also, when using it and stopping for a gas and go break, when coming back, it's unpredictable whether things will start back up where they left off or if you have to start everything over by hand, the ability to control anything from the front is a incredibly cumbersome and requires the FES to already be fired up from the unit themselves as well as having the phone connected to the car via the USB cable and the phone connected to the FES via wifi. The long and the short of it is the factory installed FES is a joke.

Is using the DVD part of it just as much a PIA as the rest of it? I’ve been reading every bit of information I can find. We currently have a ‘17 Tahoe Premier with the rear DVD player and it’s easy to start and stop the DVD player by opening and closing the player. Makes it easy for my wife to do manage going down the road. We’re seriously contemplating trading for the ‘18 Expedition because of the back seat space and car seats. Ease of use is a big deal to the wife. We have a 2 year old and another that’s 9 days old.