Rear Strut replacement, just the load leveling shock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whiteblazze

Reaction score
Trying to replace my rear 2014 struts ( shocks only ) and can not seem to get the top mount off of the strut.

Yes I have the spring compressed and cleaned off the little corrosion/rust that was built up on it. Does any know if these top mounts on these struts are threaded onto the shaft or just slip on?

IMG_8355.jpg

Andy Rubalcaba

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i'm only familiar with the air ride assembly on my '08, but the top mounting plate kind of looks like yours, just three bolts. did you spray it with PB blaster or equivalent?

did you only try hand tools or have you tried a strong impact? or a longer levering ratchet or shocking it with a wrench and mallet?

OP
OP
W

whiteblazze

Reaction score
Yes to hand tools and impact. I’m a bit hesitant to beat on it with a hammer too much with the spring being compressed and all. Just wondering if this upper mount is threaded onto the shaft or just held in place by the top nut

I removed the spring compressor and left just the top nut and washer that was loosened up a few threads and the spring wasn’t able to push the upper mount up or free. Which lead me to wonder if this upper mount is threaded.

Andy Rubalcaba

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it should just be held in by the top nut if it's the same as my '08 with air ride. have you tried switching to the opposite side? if you can get the other side free then you'll be able to inspect the threaded stems and see how they work.

PB blaster with at least a few hour soak might be in order. if time is of the essence, PB blast it heavy and soak for like 10min. top nut doesn't look rounded at all, so you've got options in the bag still.

OP
OP
W

whiteblazze

Reaction score
I hate throwing in the towel, but decided on throwing this back into the expo and ordered some KYB Strut Plus units for front and rear and will install those in a few weeks when they arrive.

Andy Rubalcaba

Full Access Members
Reaction score
lol if you didn't even soak it in PB blaster, who knows what you could have accomplished. anyways your truck, cheers.

OP
OP
W

whiteblazze

Reaction score
Yea. I did that. I have swapped out and rebuilt struts many times over, just never one of these load leveling ones before. Thanx for the input though.

Last edited: