Rear Struts EL model.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JustWarminup

Reaction score
So EL model based question.

So I'm going after parts for my rear struts, I see people say 3 things, strutmasters, bilstein with original coil from the strut, and just a full assembly from a reputable name.

I would go about the bilstein method but I do not know if mine are original Struts and if they are 300k on a spring probably means time to replace is better then putting another 200k on them.

Any suggestions?

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, you've already researched a bit, so you know the answers will vary. I'm happy with my Bilstein 4600s and would absolutely go that route again - even if I had to replace the springs as well.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bilsteins all the way. Moog makes a replacement coil (fronts and rears, had to use their springs to replace my rear, long story, look up my thread).

I have a pair of Motorcraft rear struts, but the caveat here is that they do NOT have the spring seat, as I had to order them and then pirate the seats for my rear bilsteins.

Cliff's notes; my rears were quick struts and so didn't have the resuable seats. Hence the new parts that I bought JUST for the seats. If you have seats, I'll make ya a deal on the OEM struts (again, just rears, and they're NIB..never used.

2011EL

Reaction score
I chose to go with a full strut assembly as I really didn't want to play with springs (HS auto shop teacher drilled the fear of God into me about springs). That said, I went with the KYB strut assemblies. I'll hold out on the verdict in respect to KYB as I'm waiting for replacement control arms, trailing arms, etc. to complete the job. The new struts definitely improved the ride quality driving over solid roads and speed bumps. My ride quality sucks when hitting bumps or uneven surfaces - hence the reason for the additional parts I'm going to replace.

I made a $600 bet if you will on KYB struts hoping that would improve things for my truck. I'm hoping that after replacing the rest of the parts that I won't feel the need to yank out the new KYB struts and go back to stock Motorcraft parts.

I will say that I had Bilsteins in my old Ram Rebel (1500) and hated them. But, I think that had more to do with the air suspension than the shocks. I have no clue as that has been my only experience with air suspensions or Bilstein shocks.

Best of luck with your project! Please share updates with what you ultimately choose and how it turns out.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bilstein makes the superior product. I went through several rear suspension iterations on my EL before finding the right setup. Rancho QuickLift struts wore out and started leaking and the ACDelco and Moog rear coils both started sagging after a little towing.

My ideal ended up being Bilstein 5100s with +1" height 900#/in rate coils from coilsprings.com. I bought the cheapest set of new Motorcraft rear shocks I could find just to cut them up and remove the lower spring seats and isolators. I wanted the adjustability of the 5100s but if you're stock height go with the Bilstein 4600s.

It's all a bit of a hassle and expense but it's justified by the end result. The truck rides great.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I chose to go with a full strut assembly as I really didn't want to play with springs (HS auto shop teacher drilled the fear of God into me about springs). That said, I went with the KYB strut assemblies. I'll hold out on the verdict in respect to KYB as I'm waiting for replacement control arms, trailing arms, etc. to complete the job. The new struts definitely improved the ride quality driving over solid roads and speed bumps. My ride quality sucks when hitting bumps or uneven surfaces - hence the reason for the additional parts I'm going to replace.

I made a $600 bet if you will on KYB struts hoping that would improve things for my truck. I'm hoping that after replacing the rest of the parts that I won't feel the need to yank out the new KYB struts and go back to stock Motorcraft parts.

I will say that I had Bilsteins in my old Ram Rebel (1500) and hated them. But, I think that had more to do with the air suspension than the shocks. I have no clue as that has been my only experience with air suspensions or Bilstein shocks.

Best of luck with your project! Please share updates with what you ultimately choose and how it turns out.
I plan to go with kyb's strut plus on mine when it's time, since some idiot PO put a quick strut on ONE side.......

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01