Rear struts for load leveling options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

radevv

Reaction score
Hello to everyone. I'm having trouble finding aftermarket options for struts for my 2007 EL 4x4 Limited with the rear air suspension. I was hoping to install Bilstein heavy duty struts but they are listed only for the regular suspension. I don't seem to find anything else but motorcraft.
Any suggestion?

Thank you!

quicker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm just going through this for my 09. I'm assuming you are switching from air to coil?

I decided to get a set of used strut assemblies (non air versions that came on the non air EL) and then I will rebuild them some day with Bilstein shocks and continue to use the stock springs as I know they are the correct string rate.

There are several aftermarket coil strut assembly bolt on solutions but they aren't all for the EL. Strut masters and American Air were two that I found that provided specific products for the EL.

quicker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
also you loose your load levelling with this approach. Not sure what options are out there if you want to retain the air. NO one seems to list a rear shock that works with factory air springs.

DrStang

Reaction score
I'm wanting to keep the air bag ride leveling suspension and would like to go with the Bilstein 4600's in the rear. When I get around to working on it, I'm thinking I will just try to find the Bilsteins local to compare to the shocks that come off.

OP
OP
R

radevv

Reaction score
I'm just going through this for my 09. I'm assuming you are switching from air to coil?

I decided to get a set of used strut assemblies (non air versions that came on the non air EL) and then I will rebuild them some day with Bilstein shocks and continue to use the stock springs as I know they are the correct string rate.

There are several aftermarket coil strut assembly bolt on solutions but they aren't all for the EL. Strut masters and American Air were two that I found that provided specific products for the EL.

Sorry for the late reply and thank you for the suggestions. I end up using the motorcraft struts because I want to keep the self leveling rear. I got them from rockauto for $140 total with shipping for both.
Now I'm looking for the fronts, they don't feel too bad but there is a little more swaying when going over bumps compared to the rear. The question is, should I go with motorcraft part again or should I get Bilstein for the front since the fronts will fit?

OP
OP
R

radevv

Reaction score
I'm wanting to keep the air bag ride leveling suspension and would like to go with the Bilstein 4600's in the rear. When I get around to working on it, I'm thinking I will just try to find the Bilsteins local to compare to the shocks that come off.

I don't think anything else that's not specifically made for the air ride is going to work because the strut is inside the air spring. The lower part of the spring is actually using the strut collar to seal the air chamber. There are two rubber o rings that are seated on the struts collar and that seals the air spring at the bottom

quicker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply and thank you for the suggestions. I end up using the motorcraft struts because I want to keep the self leveling rear. I got them from rockauto for $140 total with shipping for both.
Now I'm looking for the fronts, they don't feel too bad but there is a little more swaying when going over bumps compared to the rear. The question is, should I go with motorcraft part again or should I get Bilstein for the front since the fronts will fit?

I can't speak for the Bilsteins personally but others seem to like them on the front (and back with coils).

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
114k when I bought it. Bouncy and erratic from the get go. Diy.