Rear struts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ringojbr

Reaction score
I have a 2017 limited with 39,000 miles and one of the rear struts is leaking. I have a Ford Premium extended services plan that states it covers McPherson type struts but not shocks.
The rears on mine look like struts. But Ford says they call them shocks and are not covered by the ESP. Every non Ford parts supplier calls the struts but Ford does not. Even the parts guy at the Ford dealer says they are struts. But the part is listed as a shock. I believe Ford is purposely using weasel words to avoid covering the warranty.
So do we have rear struts or shocks on our Expediton and has anyone had this issue?

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Struts and yes, I had this same problem. I called my mechanic from the dealership and he said: "If he (the tech) doesn't understand the difference between a shock and a strut, put him on the phone and I'll explain it to him." I relayed that message and the tech declined the phone call, but said he would go back and have a second look. A short time later he came back and said: "It's a strut."

OP
OP
ringojbr

ringojbr

Reaction score
So
Struts and yes, I had this same problem. I called my mechanic from the dealership and he said: "If he (the tech) doesn't understand the difference between a shock and a strut, put him on the phone and I'll explain it to him." I relayed that message and the tech declined the phone call, but said he would go back and have a second look. A short time later he came back and said: "It's a strut."
did the extended warranty pay the bill?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Third Generation Expeditions have shock absorbers, not McPherson struts. A strut is an structural part of the suspension and supports the weight of the vehicle. A shock absorber doesn't do either.

Last edited:

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Third Generation Expeditions have shock absorbers, not McPherson struts. A strut is an structural part of the suspension and supports the weight of the vehicle. A shock absorber doesn't do either. A mechanic who doesn't know the difference never read anything about them. But then, few do.

Maybe you could have convinced him that it was an oil pump?

Third gens have struts in the rear. Brian Laskowski will tell you the same. Gabriel, Monroe, etc. sell "quick struts" for the rear. Everyone else is wrong though. You're right. It's a good thing we have you.

Last edited:

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 3rd gen rear are struts. I just swapped mine for KYBs a few months ago. I posted an entire write-up about it in the suspension section.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Everyone else is wrong though. You're right. It's a good thing we have you.
Okay, I've been wrong before. Maybe I'm wrong again. But I'd rather be a mistaken old koot than a nasty old koot.

The Ford parts book does call them "struts," though by definition they appear to be shocks.

Last edited: