Rear Sway bar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnb21

Reaction score
Unfortunately our vehicle isn't popular enough for anyone to sink their time and efforts into this on the stock parts. You might be able to find aftermarket struts with better valving, but you kinda have to buy them and try them to find out how the valving is.....

Agreed, just thought I would throw it out there. Thanks for your kind reply. I knew it was a pie-in-the-sky question.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Installed the rear sway bar today with the Moog end links. Took a short drive and could tell the difference almost immediately. I will see how it does on my favorite round-a-bout tomorrow...

Front sway bar delivery date has changed from 4/20 to 5/15 if I remember correctly.

Speaking of rear install, I did it with no ramps and felt more like a contortionist at times. Actually, used duct tape to hold the open end wrench several times so I could torque the nuts down. Also, don't know how others did the rubber mounts for the body but I ended up starting at the end of the bar and moved the rubber in. Once I was past where the rubber mounts were to go I pried the rubber open and put another open end wrench handle to hold the rubber open, greased (the grease is incredibly sticky) up the correct location on the sway bar, and then moved the mount into position and removed wrench. Probably a better way but worked really well.

Any recommendations for ramps when it comes time to do the front? I threw out my last ramps when I moved from Colorado to Georgia because they slid out from under the tires. Had to use a 2X4 against the garage wall in order to get my Camaro "on board".

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Installed the rear sway bar today with the Moog end links. Took a short drive and could tell the difference almost immediately. I will see how it does on my favorite round-a-bout tomorrow...

Front sway bar delivery date has changed from 4/20 to 5/15 if I remember correctly.

Speaking of rear install, I did it with no ramps and felt more like a contortionist at times. Actually, used duct tape to hold the open end wrench several times so I could torque the nuts down. Also, don't know how others did the rubber mounts for the body but I ended up starting at the end of the bar and moved the rubber in. Once I was past where the rubber mounts were to go I pried the rubber open and put another open end wrench handle to hold the rubber open, greased (the grease is incredibly sticky) up the correct location on the sway bar, and then moved the mount into position and removed wrench. Probably a better way but worked really well.

Any recommendations for ramps when it comes time to do the front? I threw out my last ramps when I moved from Colorado to Georgia because they slid out from under the tires. Had to use a 2X4 against the garage wall in order to get my Camaro "on board".

I used ramps on the front to install them but when I put the end links on I didn't, but that's because I wanted to be exactly sure on the length of the end links before I cut them. I would recommend ramps just because it's a little easier to get right under the bar to hold it in place. I held it in place with a forearm while I started threading the nuts by hand. The front is substantially heavier, last thing I wanted was it falling on my face. Be sure to loosely put everything together, bounce the vehicle a few times if you can, that start to tighten it up. The bouncing can help it self center a little.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used ramps on the front to install them but when I put the end links on I didn't, but that's because I wanted to be exactly sure on the length of the end links before I cut them. I would recommend ramps just because it's a little easier to get right under the bar to hold it in place. I held it in place with a forearm while I started threading the nuts by hand. The front is substantially heavier, last thing I wanted was it falling on my face. Be sure to loosely put everything together, bounce the vehicle a few times if you can, that start to tighten it up. The bouncing can help it self center a little.
Thanks for the suggestions. I always say "I need all the help I can get". :) What type of ramps are you using and do they work well with the Expy?

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use a set of Blitz Rhino Ramps. These are older ones but they say they are rated to 8k pounds. I've had them through 3 different cars and they are still great. I will say, the diameter of the tires on these expy's is such that they barely fit on these ramps. You have to be 100% sure it's firmly in place front to back, chock the rear, etc. Once I get my rig back, I'm planning on doing a ton of work under the car, so I will likely put some jack stands under, just as an added measure.

The only other thing with these, is that even though they have the rubber pads underneath to keep them from slipping, I put my expy in 4wheel, otherwise they tend to push out. But secondarily, having it in 4wheel tends to make me feel a little safer, preventing roll.

PXL_20210419_214802970.jpg

Last edited:

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use a set of Blitz Rhino Ramps. These are older ones but they say they are rated to 8k pounds. I've had them through 3 different cars and they are still great. I will say, the diameter of the tires on these expy's is such that they barely fit on these ramps. You have to be 100% sure it's firmly in place front to back, chock the rear, etc. Once I get my rig back, I'm planning on doing a ton of work under the car, so I will likely put some jack stands under, just as an added measure.

The only other thing with these, is that even though they have the rubber pads underneath to keep them from slipping, I put my expy in 4wheel, otherwise they tend to push out. But secondarily, having it in 4wheel tends to make me feel a little safer, preventing roll.

View attachment 41707
Gave a set of those away as to me they were more for a car than a truck. Have a different set that has room to spare and are higher as they are designed specifically for a truck. Had them for years so not sure if the brand at this point.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, took the vehicle for a longer drive today after installing the rear sway bar and end links yesterday. Happy, happy, happy! I was actually able to take a line going into the round-a-bout and hold it! None of this trying to adjust for the vehicle moving around as you turn. Noticed the improvement on every single curve during the drive. Way more in touch with the road and made for a much more enjoyable drive. Front sway bar next.....

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You guys are all making me jealous. I ordered both bars from Summit Racing in February and just yesterday got a text from FedEx that they were out for delivery. No delivery yesterday and today started out with another text with a link to parcel tracking website. Tracking website revealed that yesterday's shipment was returned to the terminal due to packaging damage and a replacement shipment (from Ohio) was to be expected Thursday. Later today I get another text with a link to tracking showing expected delivery m over to Friday. I'll believe it when I see it. FedEx (ground) is in a class of ineptitude all by itself.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You guys are all making me jealous. I ordered both bars from Summit Racing in February and just yesterday got a text from FedEx that they were out for delivery. No delivery yesterday and today started out with another text with a link to parcel tracking website. Tracking website revealed that yesterday's shipment was returned to the terminal due to packaging damage and a replacement shipment (from Ohio) was to be expected Thursday. Later today I get another text with a link to tracking showing expected delivery m over to Friday. I'll believe it when I see it. FedEx (ground) is in a class of ineptitude all by itself.
I ordered both rear and front sway bar from Summit Racing on April 2,2021. Received rear sway bar on April 11 (supposed to be April 8 but was delayed in shipping/FedEx) with front sway bar expected April 20. Front has since been changed to May 15 and now, I just checked, May 3, 2021. Sounds like Summit has some internal issues regarding orders. In the "old days" they would have said your order fell behind the file cabinet. Not sure what they say now....