Rebuild/Reman/ Run away?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5pencer

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m pretty sure that I‘LL need to have a rebuild or reman. I was towing my travel trailer last week and lost all power when accelerating from stop. I also heard a wap wap wap sound. Fortunately, I was able to get the Expy and TT off the road safely. Prior to the power loss, there had been a slight tick and shifting lag about 1500-2000 RPMs. I thought it would be resolved by a trans flush and fill which I had schedule for the very next day.

Initial brief diagnosis is very low pressure on cylinders 1 & 2. Cyl. 4 is a bit lower than spec.

I was driving cross country, so I’m looking for good shops west side of Saint Louis.
2011 Ford Expedition 130k miles
A/c compressor was recently replaced
New Yokohama’s 2 weeks old
Front 4wd rebuilt in December.

I’m on the fence about doing the rebuild/reman, because it’s a rough work truck with some NE rust. But I had thought the mechanicals were good.

BlueStangGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Although it's been a few years, I had a good experience at Pundmann Ford in St. Charles.

OP
OP

5pencer

Reaction score
Thanks. I had the initial diagnosis (Pressure checks) done at another dealer, which ran me $155. I was then quoted $465 for further diagnosis to pull valve covers and get deeper into it. I'm really hesitant about the dealer labor costs going through the roof. Seeing as I don't live near Saint Louis, I'm leaning towards a few Napa AutoCare centers in St. Charles in hopes their warranty would give me nationwide coverage too. (NAPA AutoCare Center
Coffey Automotive
($55 initial Diagnosis) or NAPA AutoCare Center
Spark's Tire & Auto
($169 Initial Diagnosis includes 1.5 hrs labor). They both have said they can get me in on Monday for the second opinion.

I'm now looking for a local towing company to get it from the dealer to either of those shops.