1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations for rear shocks & smooth ride

Discussion in '3rd Gen - 2007 - 2017' started by positivemojo, Jul 2, 2020.

1. positivemojo

positivemojo Member

Please let me know your recommendations for rear shocks that will give my Expedition a smooth ride. Thanks!

2. 07navi

07navi Full Access Members

Cheap Monroes.

3. positivemojo

positivemojo Member

Thanks for the response but I bought Monroe's two years ago and they worked great at first but are now bouncing all over the place. I'd rather not make the same mistake twice - but who knows, I may have gotten a bad set.

4. rameredit

rameredit Member

About two months ago, I installed Bilstein 4600s, new factory coils and a 2" front, 2" rear kit. It rides fantastic. I'd recommend the 4600s for sure!

positivemojo likes this.
  5. 07navi

Do you go a lot on real bouncy roads because my Monroes all lasted many many miles.

6. Jeremygsu

Jeremygsu Active Member

Is there something wrong with the stock suspension? Are stock shocks no good?

7. 07navi

I am wondering the same thing, everybody seems to think because some shocks cost more they are better but actually I think they are worse because they make them stiffer which is very easy to do but it gives the sense of being "better".

8. positivemojo

positivemojo Member

The ride has gotten very bouncy. It's almost like there's very little dampening of the spring. The original shocks began leaking about 2 years ago and I replaced them with Monroe. I live in North Texas where there is a lot of clay soil and due to contraction and expansion of the clay the roads get really rough - they repair them all the time.

I have Monroe's on the front and they are fine. It's just the rear. Little bumps are not a problem but if I go over a slightly bigger bump that's when it bounces 3-4 times and it shouldn't be doing that. At first the Monroe's were great, but now - not so much. So if I am going to replace them I'm not eager to put Monroe's back on.

I've heard Bilstein makes a really good shock but don't have any experience. I have tried KYB for my wife's car and they seem pretty good. They were pretty stiff at first but settled in after a few weeks.

I don't mind spending extra money. I just want something reliable that will provide a smooth ride.

9. positivemojo

positivemojo Member

The ride has gotten bouncy. They aren't dampening the spring.

10. positivemojo

positivemojo Member

Thanks. I've been thinking about Bilstein. I understand they don't come with the lower spring collar and you have to use the one off of the OEM shocks. I don't know if the last ones that replaced the OEM have a removable collar. Did you buy the whole rear strut or did you get one with a lower spring collar?