Reduce Power Steering Assist On 2017

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2017 Limited. Is there a way to reduce the amount of power steering “assist” provided at speed?

I find the P/S system provides too much assist for my liking, especially at highway speeds. Low speed (0-30) is fine, actually better than my 2011.

Is there a way to adjust the amount of assist provided?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2017 Limited. Is there a way to reduce the amount of power steering “assist” provided at speed?

I find the P/S system provides too much assist for my liking, especially at highway speeds. Low speed (0-30) is fine, actually better than my 2011.

Is there a way to adjust the amount of assist provided?

I don’t have an answer to your question.

When I ordered and bought my 2015, I recall one of the “new” features was a drift compensation control feature included with the electric power steering system.

Perhaps this feature is what you do not like with highway speeds?

Not to aggravate you - but I like the power steering on my 2015 Expedition 4x4 (standard length model). I do not tow or carry heavy loads - strictly used for passenger use.

OP
OP
GlennSullivan

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I dont see any “Drift Compensation Control” There is a Trailer Sway Control, which I turn off while towing due to (as crazy as it may seem) the instability it causes.
I do see that other Ford SUV models have adjustment settings for the Electric Power Steering system, but not in the Expedition. I wonder if there is any mechanical adjustment on the rack itself. Will need to look next time I have it on the lift.

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's electronic, so no adjustments on the rack. There is a side wind compensation that makes it feel weird, especially coupled with the trailer sway control. I got used to it while towing after several hundred miles, but after towing with my explorer or transit and then getting in the expedition it takes a bit to get comfortable again.

OP
OP
GlennSullivan

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's electronic, so no adjustments on the rack. There is a side wind compensation that makes it feel weird, especially coupled with the trailer sway control. I got used to it while towing after several hundred miles, but after towing with my explorer or transit and then getting in the expedition it takes a bit to get comfortable again.
I def don’t want my towing experience to be more weird. I currently tow with the sway control set to off, because I don’t like what it does when changing lanes or if having to brake hard. That along with the over assisted power steering makes towing a little uncomfortable and Im trying to reduce the steering assist to more like my 11 Expedition is at highway speeds.

Last edited: